Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got TB (Torque Bind). Want Options..

So I got torque bind.. F ME. got my tires done with a four wheel alignment a couple weeks.. and now i got torque bind.. first thing I check is tire pressure.. god damn idiots at the tire shop had 40+ psi in my front left and 40+ in my rear right.. other two are perfect at 32psi... well I get them to proper psi and still torque bind.. so i change my oil, front and rear diff fluid, and ATF. STILL torque bind... so I put in FWD Fuse.. no torque bind... read this here... www.legacycentral.org/library/torquebind.htm

Definately torque bind. Do I need to get a new rear housing or whatever and replace a bunch of thingies on there?? Or is there a re-build kit I can get that fix the bushings or seals or whatever has gone bad in there?? Can I get Big-O tires to pick up the tab for improperly inflating my tires or is there just no way to pin it on them?? BTW, it's running GREAT with the tires at proper pressure, and all the fluids changed... I've read a few of the debates.. so I'll bring it up again.. what's gonna hurt my car more?? Driving it around in FWD or driving it around with torque bind?? 98 Legacy GT 2.5 4EAT. TIA- Eli

Well, that article talks about a problem that they claim was fixed in production by 97, so I can't imagine your car has that same problem since yours is a 98. I guess the question is what part/s are actually bad in yours. From all the transmission fun I've been having recently I can tell you that it really isn't that bad to pull the back housing of the trans off. Droping the exhaust is probably the worst part. After that it's just pulling the drive shaft, the rear transmission crossmember, and the 8 or so bolts that hold the back on.

Keith

Mine went away for about 5 months.....and came back later swinging harder....not trying to rain on your parade...just letting you know. Seems that the usual suspects are

1. Alignment, tire pressure, fluid

2. DUTY SOLENOID C (Its supposed to give you a CEL but mine didnt and that turned out to be the issue)

3. TCU or some short in the wiring Harness, get yourself a TCU pinout and go to town with a multimeter.

Though the best solution is to get a 5 speed :banana: Have fun