Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spark Plug Installation Question

Yes, just to add to the consensus: Copper anti sieze and roughly 15ftlbs.

I have stopped using my torque qrench on plugs cause off access problems on my IMpreza - old Legacy was better. I tighten with an eight inch handle and stop when i feel "resistance". Don't force them.

Of course if they are too loose they cannot dissappate the heat.

and the application. Some plugs antisieze is not reccomended with. I like to buy reccomended plugs from the dealer these days and use what the factory (not Haynes) manual says to install them with. I know this is not very adventurous, but it usually works.

Using copper on aluminum is an aerospace vehicle no-no.
Aren't the plugs steel in aluminum? Zinc anti-sieze would be better for corrosion, but it turns hard and crumbly in the heat. Maybe moly grease? I don't expect to get any corrosion in this dry application, I'll stick with copper.

Aren't the plugs steel in aluminum? Zinc anti-sieze would be better for corrosion, but it turns hard and crumbly in the heat. Maybe moly grease? I don't expect to get any corrosion in this dry application, I'll stick with copper.

The one I use only states thet it contains «petroleum distillates and aluminum» Its marketed by Permatex in a small gray plastic container and claims to protect any metal from corrosion and seizing at temps up to 1600 °F. I would trust that cuts the mustard.

• 1 year later...

Heres what I have heard, about anti seize,... Ive heard that it kills 02 sensors like no other... I have also heard many old timer mechanics swear by it... now I do trust old mechanics words but remenber... 350 chevys dont have 02 sensors..... Just my thoughts... I dont use it unless the factory manual says so... things "shouldnt"(baring the car has been in an airconditiond lab all of its sheltered life) Seize if the correct torque and not a smidge more is applied...