Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

not getting fire to the plugs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 molokai

molokai

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • SoCal

Posted 17 September 2003 - 05:48 PM

I have an 82 brat that will not get fire to the plugs...I'v replaced the plugs, wirers, coil, cap and battery, but still no go:banghead: . . Is there a bypass for the clutch? i seem to remember that I had to hold the clutch in to start the car, could that be the problem? is there a way to bypass the switch? any help wuold be greatly appreciated.

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:29 PM

Its not a neutral safety switch.. Don't think yours has it.. Are you getting power to the coil?.. To the dist?

I know E82S have that silly little screw that comes out, causing the rotor to not turn with the disty.. do EA81s also have that ? something to check into

#3 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 17 September 2003 - 08:30 PM

When you replaced the disty cap did you replace the rotor as well? Also, are the wires hooked up (The ones connected to the disty?) Did it ever run since you have had it? Does it crank? Make sure the coil wires are connected and correct. Is there any cracks in the wires themselves? Look real hard after you ensure that everything is hooked up and hooked up correctly. Sounds like something stupid. This should get you started. Boz

#4 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:44 PM

Have you checked to see if the distributor turns when the engine cranks over? I'm guessing that you have a broken timing belt. If the belt on the drivers side is broken, the distributor will not turn.

#5 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,914 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:49 PM

No timing belt.
No screw to hold the rotor on.

My guess is the ign module in the distributor especially if its a Nippondenso Disty.

#6 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:58 PM

talking about a tuch of dislexia(sp) 82 brat dose not equal EA82

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users