Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2WD Auto to D/R 4WD 5 -speed swap questions

All_talk

I found a great deal on a ’86 GL-10 Turbo wagon with a bad headgasket and I happen to have a spare good running ’86 turbo engine.

Anyway, the wagon is a 2WD auto (pretty sure its 3AT not 4EAT), and I’m thinking about swapping in the 4WD D/R 5-speed drivetrain from the ’86 turbo coupe. The mechanicals don’t worry me any. But what about the wiring, is the main harness the same? Any cutting and splicing required, or is it sub harness plug and play? I’d be swapping the gauge cluster too, so going form the digi-dash to the analog, issues?

Gary

Bugger, just did some searchin (should have tried that first). Looks like the digi to analog dash swap is a big pain.

I guess I could just swap in the 4WD mechanicals, but I hate to do stuff half-a$$ed, the idea of leaving the 2WD auto dash in there make the swap much less appealing and I just don’t have the time or energy for the full harness swap. This car is just gonna be a driver for my kid, maybe its stays 2WD auto if I buy it. Bummer.

Gary

since its an '86, it'll have a 3AT in there. The 4EAT didn't get stuffed into an EA82 until late '88 IIRC. Since its a 3AT though, the swap is very easy but in the rear you have to make a couple holes to mount the suspension to or something, I can't quite remember. Anywho, just find a 4WD digicluster and swap it in. Also, there's hardly any wiring crap that you have to deal with unlike the 4EAT. Just connect the two wires going to the neutral safety switch and voila!