Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Duallies!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,162 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:18 PM

and they will work on other applications (jeeps, soobs, etc...)

http://www.dual-conc...com/components/

#2 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:35 PM

I'll add a pic....

56K warning!!!

http://www.rhinobugg...talkerdualy.jpg

http://www.rhinobugg...alkerdualy1.jpg

For those of you who don't wanna pull it up,
It's RhinoBuggy with Dual Wheels. I believe they are probably 15".
The Buggy is a RhinoBuggy Stalker. 100% Subie at heart.

While I'm at it...
I'm not sure Duallies are really a solution to anything.
I'd think they would cause more problems than they'd solve.

My .02
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer
01 Forester

#3 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

They're for carrying more weight.. right? well a subaru suspension will destroy itself by the time the 2nd wheel would ever help you.... It sure would look funny though. :drunk:

#4 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:21 PM

I was thinking it would be great to put the Bushwhacker rear flares on with the Dually kit after doing a 15in 6 lug conversion. Then stuff in an Isuzu 6cyl diesil, on a BRAT of course.

#5 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:31 PM

i want to see a new gen with those on it.... and then i'd cry laughing so hard :lol:

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,022 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:57 AM

on full-size trucks...yes, more weight...on an ORV...more surface area...idea being, floating over the mud, instead of sinking into it. Skinny tires are great for getting through the crap down to the solid base, but if the whole is deep enough, you'll get high-centered before you reach bottom.

#7 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:00 AM

Chux is right. Normally a dually is made to support more wieght (distribute the wieght more evenly). But in a situation like this you'd want duallies so you can stay on top of the snow/mud instead of sinking into it.

-Brian

#8 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:16 PM

duallies would make a soob be able to go threw like 8 feet of snow, cause it would just stay on top:lol:

#9 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:41 PM

well the average subi is what... 2500lbs.. ish
so on 4 wheels you get 625lbs each...
with 8 you'd get 312.5lbs each... that is if it's evenly distributed.. which it isn't... but still! not to shabby!
i want a set fo rall 4 corners :grin:

#10 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

http://www.dual-concepts.com/gallery/

Notice the very light ATV is sunk into the mud in several pictures...not floating on top if it. Dualies are for agricultrual implement or towing; not offroading.

#11 FirstSubaruGLwagon

FirstSubaruGLwagon

YHWH is life

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Wilmington

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

Woul'nt this type of dually be hard on the bearings?:confused:,,,, considering that Highway duallys are usally balanced and mounted where the two halves meet. however with this set-up the mounting point stays the same and more leverage is given to the outside wheel to pry against the bearing. Am I right or do i have the wrong understanding?:confused:

#12 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

Yes, it would eat the bearings in a hurry. Cool idea, tho. I remember seeing sombody put duals on a ea81 wagon just so they could run though a mud bog at one of those truck mud bog events. From what the article said, he did very well. Didn't get all the way through, but he got a long waze in! Now, if I could only remember which magazine it was I read that in........hummmmm...it was either 4wheeler or peterson's 4wheel&off-road.

#13 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,022 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:14 AM

Notice the very light ATV is sunk into the mud in several pictures...not floating on top if it. Dualies are for agricultrual implement or towing; not offroading.

well, maybe 'floating' isn't the right term, but it won't sink as far as without them. I know it would've gotten my buddies ATV much farther a few times out in the swamp

yep, this would be horrible for the car, the leverage would be very hard on wheel bearings, and probably tie rod ends, and ball joints too.

#14 LoyaleFan

LoyaleFan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Slippery Rock

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:18 AM

It looks as though if you had front duals then you'd be doing more "plowing" through mud than just floating over it. I think that you would lose a lot of momentum trying to get through that messy stuff. For mud, I'd skip the duals in the front.

#15 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:42 AM

I think I need to make a quad-cab dually Brat when I get my shop going.. That would be S I C K! lol Put one of the little Cummins like 25 HP three cylinder diesel engines in it :-P

#16 Tbird Man

Tbird Man

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Boone

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:52 AM

Three reasons to add dullies.

1. It's cool.
2. 4>2
3. it's cool.

#17 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

I think I need to make a quad-cab dually Brat when I get my shop going.. That would be S I C K! lol Put one of the little Cummins like 25 HP three cylinder diesel engines in it :-P

Mmmmmm.....torque!

#18 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:52 AM

i have a set on my brat... just got them yesterday... really easy install... look pretty mean too...

NAH... i'm messing with you... i wouldn't buy those... maybe some people in greenland would enjoy those... they need super wide tires don't they???

#19 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,361 posts
  • WV

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:15 AM

that one picture i looked at had duallies but i've seen plenty of truck tires that are as wide as the two of those skinny things.

and why the hell is everyone suggesting only stopping at two wheels on each axle? how about 3 or an extra set of axles...let get serious now and quit BSing. Tracks, now you're talking.

#20 FirstSubaruGLwagon

FirstSubaruGLwagon

YHWH is life

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Wilmington

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

Put one of the little Cummins like 25 HP three cylinder diesel engines in it :-P

HUMMM,,,, How about an subaru Horizontaly Opposed Diesel,,,,:rolleyes: that would be cool! call it the Subaru H.O.D. just imagin the gass milage!:lol:

#21 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,022 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

Tracks, now you're talking.

yea...what are they called Mattraxx or something? I see 'em at the State Fair every year and think "I wonder if that would fit on my sub", than see the price (5 digits, easy) and it never becomes of anything.

#22 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:28 PM

HUMMM,,,, How about an subaru Horizontaly Opposed Diesel,,,,:rolleyes: that would be cool! call it the Subaru H.O.D. just imagin the gass milage!:lol:

If I could FIND one of those, I'd have one in my car! Veggie Roo :D

#23 airbag_89

airbag_89

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Banks

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

It looks as though if you had front duals then you'd be doing more "plowing" through mud than just floating over it. I think that you would lose a lot of momentum trying to get through that messy stuff. For mud, I'd skip the duals in the front.

if you had duallys on front you would glide over top if you had none on front you would do a nose dive youd think.

#24 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:47 AM

if you had duallys on front you would glide over top if you had none on front you would do a nose dive youd think.

You'd think so but it doesnt really work that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users