Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Qman, 3rd eye Q in '84

Hi Qman,

i know you remember me, the submarine. parts still available!

anyway, i finally have all the pieces together to get the eye alive, but the stuff i took out of the harness does not match the relay and switch very well.

i would like to be able to have the eye on alone, unconnected to the main lights, but still have the original switch, relay, and light.

which i have.

but the relay is strange, and i don't really know the wires into it, the 6 wire one. my harness wiring does not match the connecter wiring, coloring code wise.

do you know any tips on getting this to work? I see it on that sweet brat. i know it is possible. the elec dudes i have had look at it say get the DTDP switch. i want stock.

anyone else? can we put this in the Ultimate manual?

please tell me no one did. (0k, looked, the same, except different..good work, you guys)

off for a 5 day moto ride, so will reply back Monday, and can take photos for manual.

d

i know there's a diagram somewhere that allows you to bypass the original relay and have it function as if original.. someone's got to have it.. I used to :P

edit your first post to "third eye wiring diagram wanted w/o relay" and see if you get a bite.. and it might take a day or two for the right person to see this too .. good luck!

• Like 1

if you want it to be able to be on any time, you can use a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch, and junk the stock relays and switch. here's the diagram to do it...

Center Lamp diagram

There is another way to use the stock switch with a DPDT Relay. Clantieri wrote up a piece on how to do this, but it hasn't nmade it inot the USRM yet....

Guest taprackready

The way you wire it with the stock relay, switch and everthing left in place is to replace the source of power going to the switch.

In my case, 82 brat, I simply brought a hot wire from the fuse box and put it in place of the power wire that has power on it when the high beams are on.

Now I can turn on the third eye with no headlights on at all and the third eye indicator light in the dash still works.

Bill 82 Brat

Guest taprackready
Originally posted by kecksnext

That last reply makes me think(I know, satnd back), I have an 82 Brat, although it doesn't have the 3rd eye do you think the indicator light is in the dash anyway?

If it is in the dash it will be next the high beam indicator on the right. Its the same or nearly the same color blue when lit up.

Bill, three eyed brat