Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disk Brake Conversion questions, 87 Hatch

(Part of this is reprinted from an earlier post)

OK. I have a "hatchback" not a "3-door".

Looks like I am finally doing the brakes now. Wish I could have done this sooner.

As far as what is worn out goes, I know I need to do the fronts, and might as well do the rears while I'm at it. Just so I know what parts to go get, someone please check my facts:

1 - I can upgrade the fronts by calipers originally designed for an xt6. They are larger and better calipers. Should bolt right up.

2 - I can upgrade the rear to disks by doing the same, but I will need all parts from the backing plates out. Any Subaru RX, XT Turbo, GL-10 Turbo (both wagon and sedan) will have rear disk brakes. XT6 will not do. Install by replacing the backing plates on my hatch with the disk brake backing plates, and put on the whole assembly from there. Should bolt right up.

3 - I won't need to change out my master cylinder, hard or flex lines, or any other part of the braking system. I also won't need to change out my wheels.

4 - If I do decide to change over to Pugeot wheels, I can change over to any 14" or 15" ones I like because the backspacing and bolt pattern are both correct. Should bolt right up. I just need to then get tires that match up to the same overall diameter so that my speedo is still accurate, and I can figure that out with this:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I'm interested in upgrading the front rotors if anyone knows of a larger bolt-up part. Many thanks to anyone that can help me get through this.

- Freed

(Part of this is reprinted from an earlier post)

OK. I have a "hatchback" not a "3-door".

Looks like I am finally doing the brakes now. Wish I could have done this sooner.

As far as what is worn out goes, I know I need to do the fronts, and might as well do the rears while I'm at it. Just so I know what parts to go get, someone please check my facts:

1 - I can upgrade the fronts by calipers originally designed for an xt6. They are larger and better calipers. Should bolt right up.

2 - I can upgrade the rear to disks by doing the same, but I will need all parts from the backing plates out. Any Subaru RX, XT Turbo, GL-10 Turbo (both wagon and sedan) will have rear disk brakes. XT6 will not do. Install by replacing the backing plates on my hatch with the disk brake backing plates, and put on the whole assembly from there. Should bolt right up.

3 - I won't need to change out my master cylinder, hard or flex lines, or any other part of the braking system. I also won't need to change out my wheels.

4 - If I do decide to change over to Pugeot wheels, I can change over to any 14" or 15" ones I like because the backspacing and bolt pattern are both correct. Should bolt right up. I just need to then get tires that match up to the same overall diameter so that my speedo is still accurate, and I can figure that out with this:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I'm interested in upgrading the front rotors if anyone knows of a larger bolt-up part. Many thanks to anyone that can help me get through this.

- Freed

1 - If you have a 'hatchback and not a '3door' then as far as I know, the XT6 caliper will not bolt right up in the front. I have them on an EA82 car, but even then its in conjunction with XT6 spindles

2 - You can upgrade to rear discs easily. YOu could even use XT6 parts, but that would change the rear bolt pattern to 5 lug

3 - Correct

4 - Correct for the most part. The offset of the pugs is a bit different than stock (+20 IIRC) but if you are trying to keep an overall stock diameter, that won't matter.

1. not without lower control arm modifications, or without a ea82 strut conversion(drilled strut tower or modified strut cap) and custom axles(ea81 length with ea82/xt6 ends)

1. it can be done with the right combination of stock parts

1. the axle is the key to this conversion, should someone match the right combination of axle parts

Thanks, all for the advice.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about buying new wheels just yet. This had me worried about backspacing:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/wagdiff.jpg

Since I am planning on buying some Pug alloys one of these days, would it be in my best interest to go ahead and put in some longer ARP wheel studs when I do the brakes? Should I get some studs with a more common diameter or thread pitch (like a 12x1.5)?

- Freed