Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The connector that goes to my # 3 fuel injector is not lighting a noid light. The plactic end looks like it has been against the manifold but the light did not light when I touched the bear wires on back side. Any ideals what to look for?

1997 Legacy wagon 2.2 engine. I only tested the two on the right, the front one lights but not # 3. However I did pull them off one at a time before I got the light and they all were working but #3. I could tell this by the way the engine would try to die when they were unpluged. The reason for checking these were because the engine would shake when it was idling in gear. I had this engine installed from a junk yard and I noticed the pigtail for the # 3 injector had heat damaged on it. When I unpluged it to check, it made it worse it is not working any now. I have ordered a pigtail from the wrecking yard to replace the end but the worry is the noid will not light when I touch the ends to the bare wires behind the damaged connector. Any ideals?

I'd suggest checking the continuity of the wire from the engine connector plug near the battery to that connector of the injector. It may be damaged. If you get a high resistance value you found your problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring diagram to tell you what pins are what. If it is the wiring, you're probably going to have to try and snake the wiring harness from under the manifold and pull back the wire loom and tape, replace the wire, and then tape everything back up.

It may be easier to take the manifold off to get at the loom.

Ok This might help a little. I am currently working on a fuel injector flow bench.

If you check the connections of the leads at the pigtail when it is not hooked up to the injector and the car is off, you should not read anything, infinate Ohms. This is due to the computer does not have them switched on. If the car is on and you do a voltage check between those wires you should read a low voltage flickering on and off. Also check the injectors Ohms, I belive they ohm out at about 4 or .4 ohms or something I cant remember, its been about a month or so since I checked them. I recently picked up some injectors from the junkyard and 3 out of the 6 that I had hooked up to the flow bench wouldnt even turn on. So try that and see whatcha get buddy and let me know.

It means that the power to the injector is probably ok but to really prove that you should check the voltage using a analog meter with the common lead of the meter tied to a good ground and the connector tied to the injector. Then monitor the voltage to each side of the injector while cranking the engine. If you still have 12 volts with no pulsing on both leads then the grounding side (ECU) end of the circuit is not getting to ground somehow. There may be a seperate resistor to gound for that injector that is bad or not connected correctly. You should verify the ground side resistance, for that injector, out of the ECU. If the resistance is ok, then there is either a bad connection between the ECU and the injector, or the ECU control for that circuit is bad. I doubt the ECU is bad though.

You can also check the ECU sides of the circuit by placing the meter on DC volts and place the common lead to a good ground. Then find the proper contacts on the ECU for the input and return side for that injector. If the voltage fluctuates while starting the engine on both connections then the ECU is ok and the connection to the injector is bad.