Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hopefully someone can help.

I have a 93 Legacy wagon 2.2 146,000 miles and I just replaced the compressor. I was able to use a zexel off a 95. Bolted up identical. The AC works awsome, but know I get a squeel. Sometimes breifly and others it takes a couple of minutes.

My question

Knowing that the clutch is magnectic, could I possibly have a weak altinator? not allowing a full grab or would it be a clutch going bad?

What I have already done

Replaced shot compressor with one from a 95

new belts - adjusted a couple of times, thought I had it, was real bad, now intermittent

after getting system filled had a problem getting power to the compressor, jumped it and worked fine, played with the relays and really don't know what I did, but it works.

What should I have for amps / volts at the compressor and relays

coming from the alt?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

If your belt squeals it is not tight enough or is is worn. I had the same problem after I replaced the alternator on our '99 Forester. It takes allot of tension to keep it from squealing.

I have had someonbe assist me and its deffinatly the AC squeeling. It does it only on start up of the compressor.

once again I have loosened and retightened the ac belt, checked all voltage from the battery (car off) the relays, and the output at the compressor plug. All are 12-13 volts. The guy I had helping me noticed that it appeared to be the whole belt slipping so now I am going out to check the adjustment pully for any resistance