Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2L interferance debate: answer

I rechecked the s/n on our '97 Imp and it's 65 BB 22222. I checked the s/n on my son's '96 Imp and it's 15 AB 11111. Now I'm really puzzled. What are the chances of 5 of kind on one car, much less two?

Optimist: time to buy a lottery ticket!

Pessimist: dont go outside when there is a thunder storm!

I rechecked the s/n on our '97 Imp and it's 65 BB 22222. I checked the s/n on my son's '96 Imp and it's 15 AB 11111. Now I'm really puzzled. What are the chances of 5 of kind on one car, much less two?

Edrach--where did you find the serial numbers? Top of the clutch housing on the driver's side? When I checked my '95 Legacy all I saw was a 6 digit number, no 2 digit prefix, no "BB" or "CC".

Right behind the alternator just to the right of the "EJ22" in the casting. Numbers are in two lines with what I think is the 5 digit s/n in the 2nd line.

Edrach--where did you find the serial numbers? Top of the clutch housing on the driver's side? When I checked my '95 Legacy all I saw was a 6 digit number, no 2 digit prefix, no "BB" or "CC".

The location you describe, I come up with 262641 for my '91 Legacy. This sounds like the s/n location. Maybe the 11111 and 22222 might be the identifier between the non-interference/interference engines. It would be interesting to see what others have found in that location and which engine they think they have.

Right behind the alternator just to the right of the "EJ22" in the casting. Numbers are in two lines with what I think is the 5 digit s/n in the 2nd line.

Do any of the codes you've read match whats on the plate riveted to the drivers side inner fender? I do believe that plate contains the engine code, trans code, color code, and more.

Keith

The numbers and letters, top center of engine block, that you are thinking are s/n's are not. The numbers are rod and main bearing sizes. The letters are piston sizes.

MY '95 is the year they went to roller rockers, but retained hydraulic lifters.

MY '97 is the year they revamped the pistons. And also went to adjustable valves (no hydraulic lifters).

MY '99 is when the Phase II 2.2L engine was introduced in some modles. This is the engine with the spark plugs going through the valve covers. Looks same as the SOHC 2.5L from MY '00-.

MY '95 is the year they went to roller rockers, but retained hydraulic lifters.

MY '97 is the year they revamped the pistons. And also went to adjustable valves (no hydraulic lifters).

AH, this was what I was coming to ask. When inquiring about the 96EJ25 rated at 155hp, vs the 97 EJ25 rated at 165hp, I was told everything went to solid lifter in 97, and now you have also confimed that.

Good thought Keith. I checked our two cars and this is what I found:

'91 Legacy Engine: EJ22EAW1BC

'97 Impreza Engine: EJ22ECW6FZ

'96 Impreza Engine: EJ22ECM5GB

I went looking through the FSM for the '92 Legacy I have and although they have a detailed explanation of the VIN meaning, there was nothing to describe what the letters mean in the engine designation. Maybe others can post their numbers to see if we can make any sense out of them. Better yet, anyone know how to decode the numbers?

Do any of the codes you've read match whats on the plate riveted to the drivers side inner fender? I do believe that plate contains the engine code, trans code, color code, and more.

Keith