Ultimate Subaru Message Board

71 bug with a EA81 subaru engine (carb problems)

Will the Thrill

so, a couple years ago, i started modifying a beat-up 71 vw bug. my most recent project has been to transplant the old (and beat-up) vw engine with an EA81 subaru engine.

now the car is running, but it is doing so horribly, it can barely idle, the secondaries aren't opening when you really give it some gas, it doesnt warm up properly, it runs very rich when it IS warmed up (even though i have adjusted the float bowl, and rebuilt it with a "subaru carb rebuild kit"), the list goes on...

i think that some of the problems are due to the fact that none of the emissions controll accessories are getting any power (my 71 bug isnt under the smog laws, so i would prefer to keep the wiring simple). i also think that the carb has simply gone sour (it has been sitting for a LONG time before i started tinkering with it).

i was wondering if there was some aftermarket/offroad 2barrel carb, that didnt have any of that emissions control garbage on it, and would easily fit on my engine. does anyone know of something that might do the trick?

Unless the carb has truly "gone sour", you should still be able to get some decent running out of it. The emissions control is minimal on the carb itself. Depending on the year and the make of the carb (sounds like 2-barrel), the emissions controls consist mostly of 2 "vacuum" lines that went to off-carb venting solenoids. These allowed air to be vented into the lines to lean out the idle and main circuits of the carburetor. Plug those 2 lines and bob's your uncle.

Overly rich sounds like choke or float/float-valve issues. Does your carb have a sightglass on the float bowl?

Secondary not opening sounds like the engine is running too poorly to develop enough signal to open the secondary (assuming that the throttle shaft is not binding).

hey guys,

i wanted to say: thanks for all the help so far.

i am looking on the market section right now, and i also found a store selling them online, but he quoted me $550. he told me it was so expensive because weber had not been making this carburetor for a couple of years. i would like to keep my options open, so i dont get stuck with a carb i could never find parts for. is there another carburetor (made by holley or something) which might do the same trick? or is the weber really my only option?

thanks again guys, this is really a great help

The weber 32/36 is probably your best choice. I think the guy you talked to may have been pulling your chain.

These also came on ford 2.0-2.3 powered vehicles back in the day. Might wanna check one of these out. They came in electric and water-heated choke variants.

I have a single barrel carter holly with an adapter plate if you want to try it .I paid 50 bucks for it rebuilt.If it works it will cost you 50 bucks ,if not just cover the mailing and send it back.No emissions and manual choke.I had it on an Ea 82

Send me a Pm as I dont often check the messages on the board.

Jude

The weber 32/36 is probably your best choice. I think the guy you talked to may have been pulling your chain.

These also came on ford 2.0-2.3 powered vehicles back in the day. Might wanna check one of these out. They came in electric and water-heated choke variants.

Holley-Weber 5200, IIRC. Very well could be the "holley something" that the guy was talking about.

You have lots of options, just depends on what yo want and how much work you want to do. One of the Members just put a Holley 4600-series 4 venturi carburetor on his EA81. Stock carburetors from a miriad of Nissans and Toyotas will work... maybe even from a Honda!

One seemingly major thing to look at is throttle cable routing, as certain throttle linkages work better with a "standard" Subaru cable routing than do others. Might be different with your application.

so, a couple years ago, i started modifying a beat-up 71 vw bug. my most recent project has been to transplant the old (and beat-up) vw engine with an EA81 subaru engine.

now the car is running, but it is doing so horribly, it can barely idle, the secondaries aren't opening when you really give it some gas, it doesnt warm up properly, it runs very rich when it IS warmed up (even though i have adjusted the float bowl, and rebuilt it with a "subaru carb rebuild kit"), the list goes on...

i think that some of the problems are due to the fact that none of the emissions controll accessories are getting any power (my 71 bug isnt under the smog laws, so i would prefer to keep the wiring simple). i also think that the carb has simply gone sour (it has been sitting for a LONG time before i started tinkering with it).

i was wondering if there was some aftermarket/offroad 2barrel carb, that didnt have any of that emissions control garbage on it, and would easily fit on my kkengine. does anyone know of something that might do the trick?

im thinking of doing the same thing to a 1973 super beetle and i was wondering if the engine stays under cover or does it stick out a lot please send picture or advise THANKS DENNIS

does anyone know the cfm # for the stock ea81 hitachi carburetor?

A point for you to know is that the big restriction is the EA81 intake manifold, at the base of the carb. Get an EA82 (OHC motor) intake manifold. You will see that it has a much larger carb-base opening, so it flows more air. This alone will make for better power, especially when fitted with a Weber rather than the stock EA82 carb. Someone here will sell you a used Weber for under $100. They are great carbs and parts are available. Jetting info can be found on the Board by doing a search, such as "Weber jetting".

• 4 months later...

I concur with the replies on the Weber 32/36. I have one on my EA81 in my boat and it runs great (tuning takes patience though).

Webers are priced high because of very limited production resulting from a lingering labor strike at their factory in Spain. In fact, new 32/36 carbs currently in the states are ALL we will get until the strike settles and full production resumes according to a distributor I talked to when I was looking to buy one. I paid right at $400 3 months ago for the carb and adapter kit.

If you have a 2bbl Hitachi right now, the Weber conversion is simple and easy. If you have the 1bbl Carter Weber, you'll need a manifold for the hitachi carb before you do a conversion.

Personally, I'd pull the carb and send it to a shop and get a professional rebuild for under $200 before going with an expensive weber. I went to the Weber because my Hitachi needed a rebuild, and all the carb shops in my area (New Orleans) went under 6' - 10' of water after the hurricane.