Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Massive oil smoke cloud after right hand 270 degree sweepers. No other times.

This is an odd one.

My 87 GL wagon puts out a James-Bond-esque smokescreen after any 270 degree highway ramp. I normally run them in 3rd, mostly closed throttle, and when I lay into it at the end, I often literally hide the car behind me from sight. It's really bad.

However, if I repeat the same thing without a sweeper entrance ramp, nothing happens. It sounds like valve stem seals, but wouldn't those cause smoke after any long vacuum period? Also, if I take the sweepers with the engine at idle (clutch in), it doesn't smoke.

Is there any sort of crankcase vent over on the driver's side that I'd be sloshing oil into or something?

-=Russ=-

PCV valve. I'd put money on it. I've bought several Roos that had this exact same problem.

Welcome to the world of old Subarus. :grin:

I see you've got over 100 posts, so you're not totally new... but... I'll tell you one more thing to get used to about these cars: make sure you get used to the function of the switch on top of the steering column as well.

I just noticed my 88 GL is doing the same thing. It only does it on one off ramp that's about a 290* right turn, and only right at the end.

I suspect it has something to do with the PCV system. I still haven't had time to check my PCV valve to make sure it isn't clogged.

*subscribe*

Cool. Thanks, I was hoping it was something other than the valve stem seals.

It is fuel injected, so I'll take a look and see if I can revise the setup as mentioned in that PDF.

I also know what the switch on the top of the steering column is for. I think I mentioned it in my "What to fix on a new old Subaru" post a while back.

I haven't been around much lately because things have been working surprisingly well, and I'm busy with work, so I don't have much time to spend posting.

-=Russ=-

it's on the back of the intake manifold.

Follow the hose from the driver's side valve cover to a 'T'

Follow the bottom side of the T to the back of the manifold; the PCV valve is what it runs into. The other side of the T goes to the intake tube.

IIRC, it's a 19mm wrench to remove, and I've had more luck unscrewing it from the intake manifold before I remove it from the PCV hose. The hoses are usually brittle by now, and tend to break unless removed carefully.

• 9 months later...

The service bulletin link above is dead now -- anyone got a current copy?

My 1988 GL is doing this on exactly the same thing -- sweeping right 270-degree turn descending and accelerating onto the freeway, gets a big white smoke cloud.

I understand it needs a new Subaru brand PCV valve, but maybe also a revised hose.

Need a picture or part number if anyone has either one.

Yes, I can`t Download a Copy of that interesting PDF... Do you know another Link to download that? if so, please post it here...

Also, a silly Question: Which switch on the top of the steering column are you Talkin` About? Both my wagons got just one with a red triangle printed on it, and if is Pushed: Parkin` Lights on, if it`s Pulled: Parkin` Lights Off... it works like that all the time.

:confused: ...

If this is SPFI, you can get rid of the "long right hand turn syndrome" by building and installing a "condensator" for a few bucks. Here's a thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38290&highlight=condensator

And, although I haven't tried this, Subaru used to sell (and may still) a "fix" for around $50 which basically replaces that little thin hose that runs to the back side of the intake snorkle with a regular-sized one, then plugs the little hole left in the snorkle. You could probalby do this with a couple T's, a plug, and a piece of heater hose to get the same result.

ok old revived thread I know, buut a couple things

PCV Valve = Positive Crankcase Ventilation, I dont think I can give the greatest description of what it does but it pretty much allows any blowby fuel vapors in the crankcase to be sucked back in through the intake.

What button is on top of the steering column? my '81 has nothing on the column at all other than the hazards switch towards the bottom/left side of it, and my '84 has that and the tilt and ignition on the column(switching between the two cars drives me crazy, always putting the key in the wrong place :banghead: ).

and lastly... rather than buying a new PCV valve, most times you should be able to clean it by soaking and then blowing all the crap out of it and have it work just like new.

Dang. Subaru parts dept apparently no longer knows about this -- they just sent my mechanic a whole brand new original set, and told him what was on the car (it's never been upgraded with the fix) was the right setup.

I didn't know about the older thread with pictures til after that happened, thanks for the pointer. I'll print it out and take it in. Rats.