Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I test drove a 96 Legacy yesterday evening. 171K. It seems to be about that milege that transmissions seem to tank, so very nervous. Sometimes I could feel the 2-3 upshift. I can't say it grabbed or even shifted hard, it was just more noticable that the 1-2 and 3-4. The tranny was power flushed at 155K. Tranny fluid still looks brand new.

I have never lost a gear in a transmission before. I'm not sure what the beginning of the end feels like.

Does a tranny start to slip before it grabs?

Can a "noticeable shift" turn into a grab without slip?

If there was a tranny shifting problem, wouldn't it show up in the fluid somehow? I have to let the guy know early Sunday morning or he will keep showing it to other buyers.

Need help on this one ASAP!!!!

The only question I would have, or at least a point to ponder...

Why was the system flushed at 155k and had it been done before, or was it the first trans fluid change?

Go with your gut feeling, but that is a lot of miles on any tranny, especially if it wasn't serviced properly.

Does it have a hitch on it? If so, it's been used to tow, so more life off the tranny.

Bump. Need more opinions. Car was a fleet vehilce...according to owner. he has only had it 9 months...which also makes me nervous. There are no real oil leaks on the car at all, looks like it was well cared for. All axle boots good, etc. He says he just bought the car for the winter while his truck was being fixed. I want to believe him...but have a bad feeling about the whole thing. no obvious torque binding. Did not notice a tow hitch...but wasn't really looking for one.

I paid $2k US for my 95 Legacy with 160,000 miles on it. 2.2L LS, Automatic tranny. I don't really have much on advice regarding the tranny, as I've never owned an automatic before this one. I bought the car back in April, and now it has 166,700 miles on it. Go with your gut feeling though. If you have to justify it in your mond, and you hesitated this much, then I wouldn't get it. There will always be another Suby out there, patience is just needed to wait around for it. :)

My 92 auto tranny is about to hit 170,000, and--knock on wood--no transmission oddities whatsoever thus far. Seems to works smooth, other than a slight vibration when sitting in traffic, which most people wouldn't bother to notice, but I know it's there. This is my first Subaru, though, so I have no knowledge base for these trannys. TH350 GM auto trannys used to push to about 200,000 and beyond, so I hadn't really thought too much about my Sube auto...When a Subaru tranny does go, what does a standard rebuild usually run for those of you who know?

Pay for the Trans band adjustment at a good Subaru Shop and then if it checks OK take it. If the guy won't let you pay for this service, skip the car.

Shif differences are normal as the trans ages. A band adjustment will take care of most of it.

Acutally, think I will skip the car. Appears to be burning oil, purrs/noise in reverse sometimes, and this weird thing that makes the tires sound really loud, plus the fact that the car was warmed up when I went to see it...and had previously run porrly when cold..plus 171K miles...too many risks. need a car that will last at least 2 years...not one. Just have a really bad feeling about this car...desperate, but not that desperate.