Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP PLZ Skeet's stuck in Missoula, MT...

(1987 hitatchi carbed wagon, 5 speed)

Well, I thought the high idle/no idle had been fixed by a few rounds with a can of carb cleaner.. last night I kicked Skeet out.. I mean, sent him off :D .. right before he left the engine started idling at THREE thousand, so I waved the carb cleaner at it again and it went back to 1500rpm, which we had decided would serve as "normal"..

and I just got a call from him in Missoula. Seems the car quit and he had to tow it to a shop :eh: called Hellgate Conoco..

the car would only TRY and run if he was pumping the gas pedal like a sewing machine.. He looked into the carb at the primary while his travelling buddy tried to start it, and only a little gas would come out of the jet and then stop. I showed it to him when the car was running well so he knows what to compare it to.

I suggested a new fuel filter, even though it has a new Napa filter.. last night we put a bottle of Gumout carb cleaner in the tank in addition to the half tank remaining of Seafoam treated gas.. maybe it's cleaning too well and blocked the filter? I told him to suggest the fuel filter to the mechanic (and to avoid Fram for just about everything..) other than changing the filter, maybe the fuel pump itself, or cleaning the carb out some more, i don't know what to suggest, and i can't poke at it myself if he's in montana and I have to work in an hour :moon:

If anyone in/near Missoula can lend a hand here, it would be greatly appreciated.. he and I are both leery of a gas station repair shop especially since Skeet isn't local.. but he did call around and couldn't find a better place to go.

Skeet's cell phone # is #########... posting here won't be too useful as I'll be gone for work in a few minutes and i doubt that Hellgate Conoco has internet access in the lobby... please please please and thank you.

My cell phone # is ########## if anyone would rather call me for some reason.

Ok just got off the phone with skeet. SOunds like the shop is taking good care of him there. They found the base gasket for the carb was literaly falling apart. He said they were gonna fix it and charge him a fair price.

I think he needs a nap though as he hasnt slept in 24 hours! :eek:

Peace

hi Morgan.. thanks for calling him. He said he was too tired to remember what he said you you but he remembers telling you it was underway.. thanks again.

I told Skeet to have them check the timing as my timing light turned out to have died in storage or something. i guess i had the distributor off by a tooth.. i tried that and didn't get it to work, but we got 30mpg for 725 miles with no overheating problems so it couldn't have been too bad :banana:

He stopped at a hotel room in Missoula to catch up on sleep so no worries there.

Guest Vickaroo

Missoula????? WOW!!!!:eek: That must be the place that eats Subbies..... When Tim and I went to Washington a couple years ago for the meet that is where we lost our Timming belt.. :eek: It was a week-end and no one could get to it till Monday!!! (We went to the subaru dealer) So Tim and his friend bought the belt from the dealer changed it right there on the street... Sorry to hear about Skeets mishap glad to know hes being taken care of and I agree it is good to have you guys here... Like Iv always said the people here on the board are the BEST Vicky