Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Later 2.2l swap for 2.5l?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twinckler

twinckler

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Alameda

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:53 PM

I am about to commit to swapping my 1997 OB 2.5l DOHC for a 2.2l. I know the 1995 ej22 is a drop in fit, but are there later 2.2l's that also are straight swaps or darn near?

#2 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:42 PM

No. 1995 EJ22 from an auto tranny car is the only engine I know of that swaps relatively easily.

#3 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:24 PM

why from a 95'? all ej22's have the same exterior design, mostly. all bolt up, or is it just a matter of wiring?

~Josh~

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,839 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:29 AM

ERG Valve is on the 95. The biggest reason to install a 95 is its the last year of a non-interference engine. If you need a good one, go to www.ccrengines.com.

They will even build one with cams to regain the minimal power difference. The Impreza 2.2 will also work, but check the flex plates. The Impreza is about 1/2" dia smaller. Don't ask how I know!

I've done two of these swaps and I'm happy with the results. If you get the power steering lines and the fitting off the pump, you can change the lines over as well.

I also grab the purge canister and bracket that is bolted to the right front frame rail. Then you only have one vaccum line to plug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users