Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

starting problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 serac

serac

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

Hi,

About two months ago my 96 Legacy was slow to start - eventually it turned over but it took a few tries. Bought new battery, seemed to help but lately when I turn the key over I get nothing (no clicks, no turning over) but get full (I think) juice (all dashboards lights are bright, headlamps come on...). After 5-7 repeated attempts at turning the key over, the engine will suddenly turn over and the car starts right away. This problem is usually worse in the morning. After driving the car for a few miles, it seems like it starts right away after turning it off, even if it sits for a few hours.

Anyone know what the likely problem is? Or can you steer me towards any past helpful discussions?

By the way, I assume it's somewhat common (I recall a similar problem in my old '86 Suby wagon years ago).

Thanks so much,
Serac
1996 Subaru Legacy LS
170,000 miles, automatic

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,045 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

Contacts in the starter are getting bad. Moisture makes the problem surface in the AM. New starter or have the contacts in the solenoid replaced by any starter shop. If you want a good used starter to put in, send me $20 to cover the shipping and I'll send one out.

Larry

#3 mwatt

mwatt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Rockville

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

Hi,

About two months ago my 96 Legacy was slow to start - eventually it turned over but it took a few tries. Bought new battery, seemed to help but lately when I turn the key over I get nothing (no clicks, no turning over) but get full (I think) juice (all dashboards lights are bright, headlamps come on...). After 5-7 repeated attempts at turning the key over, the engine will suddenly turn over and the car starts right away. This problem is usually worse in the morning. After driving the car for a few miles, it seems like it starts right away after turning it off, even if it sits for a few hours.

Anyone know what the likely problem is? Or can you steer me towards any past helpful discussions?

By the way, I assume it's somewhat common (I recall a similar problem in my old '86 Suby wagon years ago).

Thanks so much,
Serac
1996 Subaru Legacy LS
170,000 miles, automatic

Assuming the car is an automatic, you have tried to start it in "N", right? If the starter does crank the engine with the shifter in "N" then the shifter "position" switch may be out of adjustment. Judging from your description, though, it sounds like the starter (or the starter solenoid) is failing. When the engine fails to crank over, find something you can strike the starter with (like the handle end of a large screwdriver. Will it crank after striking the starter? BTW--starter is located at rear of engine and is visable by looking down from the top---follow the positive battery cable back to the starter.

#4 drewd

drewd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Freehold

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

Before you lay out some bills for a new starter, i would replace the solenoid, first, and see how it works.

#5 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,643 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:06 AM

Before you lay out some bills for a new starter, i would replace the solenoid, first, and see how it works.

And before you lay out any bills for a solenoid, try replacing the copper contacts in the solenoid--couple of bucks at an auto-electric shop or from Subaru parts.

Also suggest search here on the forum under "starter"--been several write-ups over the past year.

Good luck.

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

I also agree that the solenoid contacts may need to be replaced. The problem may also be with the inhibit switch, as was mentioned. To see if the solenoid contacts are at fault you can check the voltage on the small wire going to the solenoid coil. If you have voltage there when you try to start it and the starter doesn't work then the solenoid contacts are at fault probably. If there is no voltage there, then the inhibit switch needs to be checked.

#7 serac

serac

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your ideas - I think it was the starter contacts. I replaced them and so far so good.

serac

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

Your welcome Serac. Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users