Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittant wipers oddness

asavage

I've been banishing most of the goblins that have peacefully lurking in my '93 Loyale for years, and I'm getting pretty far down the list.

My wiper stalk has four positions:

* OFF

* Intermittant

* Low

* High

When I move the lever to Intermittant, the wiper works fine for a few cycles, then it starts acting odd. It will move up an inch or so, then stop. After a couple of seconds, it'll move up another inch or so and stop. After a couple more seconds, it'll either sweep across the glass as normal, or move a little farther and stop again. By the fourth time, it'll always sweep.

I assume that this is a problem with the intermittant controller module, whereever that is.

The problem: though I have access to both the AllData and Mitchell DVDs, neither one admits to a '93 Loyale having intermittant wipers, only "mist". The number of wires, and colour of wires, running to the wiper motor is the same on their wiring diagram and my car, which implies that the wiper motor is the same on both the intermittant-wiper-equipped models and their plainer brethren.

So: I'm hoping that someone has the factory service manual for this year and can scan & email the pertinent diagram to me (schematic or wiring diagram, I can work with either). I'd be happy to contribute a couple bux for the effort. It'd also be nice if someone knows just where this box is located, within a couple of inches.

email: asavage at iname dot com

Al was going to email you but never heard back after I sent the last email to you, maybe I had the wrong address?

The int wiper timer is mounted on the panel you must take down to see the ECU, the one under the steering col.

When you lower the panel it is mounted on it, about center, it's a black or gray box

This is a very common problem and has been traced to

1 bad solder contacts in the timer

2 a fault in the ground wiper mounted on the wiper motor gear drive.

hope this helps

Excellent!

Cold solder joints are a piece of cake for me, and a bad wiper park ground doesn't sound too bad, either. I appreciate the geography lesson WRT the module location.

I tried "Search" on USMB for "intermittant wiper" but got no good hits, so I thought it might not be all that common.

Tomorrow, I'll yank that module and go over it with the mag glass, touch up the solder.

Again, Thanks.

Funny...I removed the said panel tonight to both find the intermittent wiper module and the ECU. I don't think my car has an ECU, anyone know? It's an '87 GL Wagon MT d/r. Anyways, I saw the little box on the panel (gray on my car) and wondered what it was, it has room on the side of it for either a large female plug or for several individual wires, about 6 or 7. It was not plugged to anything and I couldn't find its mate. My intermittent wipers had the same symptoms Al describes, but now it doesn't work at all on intermittent. If this little box is the unit in question, I wonder how it got disconnected!! Doesn't look like the thing that will just unplug itself. :cornfuzz: I'll givva better look tomorrow.

Originally posted by Skip

The int wiper timer is mounted on the panel you must take down to see the ECU, the one under the steering col.

On my '93, it's mounted above the ECU, on edge, and is mounted using a small metal bracket which uses the rightmost ECU mounting stud. Black, 8-pin connector with only six actual pins used. I'm sure this is the one, because when I pull it, Intermittant doesn't work (and Low & High still work). Interestingly, park does not work with the module out of circuit. I'd sure like to see a schematic of this thing.

This is a very common problem and has been traced to

1 bad solder contacts in the timer

2 a fault in the ground wiper mounted on the wiper motor gear drive.

I was hoping to find bad solder joint(s), but a careful inspection yielded no hits. I had it in and out a couple of times, and the problem persisted. Then I removed and reinserted the wiper motor connector, and the problem immediately went away (ie I was able to get 20 good cycles, where I'd never gotten five before).

Since the weather is supposed to be clear for the next few days, I can't test it in the real world until we get wet stuff again, but I think if I actually clean and regrease that wiper motor connector, I might be out of the woods.

Thanks for the tips, Skip!