Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA rear Diff into EJ car

s'ko

"Will an EA82 3.90 rear diff work for in a EJ car?"

yes and no, an EA 3.90 rear diff is out of a non-turbo car, turbo's are 3.70:1, that being said, the rear spline count is identical on both turbo or N/A EA82, they all run the same axles, and stub axles, and internals, except for the limited ;) the difference is the ratio's on the ring gears. you can swap the diffs around by switching ring gears to maintain the proper gear ratios.

Rear stubs are all there on early EJ rear diffs, and have the same spline count as the EA diffs until at least MY 94' and most likely up to MY 97' when the rear axle gains the inner stub with the c-clip that Mcbrat is talking about.

to build on the aforementioned, aka hint for mixing really new and really old: take old legacy axles and diff and set them next to newer EJ axles and diff...

'dude these things really are lego's for big kids'

Enjoy

-N

Thanks for the info.

I have a friend building a rally car and she's got a legacy tranny. Looking for the matching 3.90 rear diff.

So if I understand it correctly.... I can take a 3.70 LSD, do the 3.90 swap to it. Use early legacy axles and it will bolt up to the Impreza L rear wheels and the Legacy tranny.