Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vw Transplant

waltee_d

I Would Like To Say Hi To Everyone In Subaru Land And Im Glad To Be Here . I Really Need Some Help. I Have A 3 Dr. Gl Made 7/86 With A Fi. Engine But Have No Idea Where To Look For Engine No. Or What Size It Is .can I Use Serial No. Or Where Is Engine No. Located. Any Steering In Right Direction Will Help Greatly Thanks Dennis

Right on target guy's, by the id number link, I was able to find out it is a 1986 MPFI 1.8 so this will help in my volkswagen transplant. I am dealing with an out fit out of California by the name of Kennedy Eng. that makes an adaptor to put in a 73 volkswagen superbeetle if any is interested I'll let you know the progress. The adaptor is round $450 if anyone is interested.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Dennis

I dont know much about the 3dr, but i think it should be an EA82 MPFI 1.8 litre Motor (does it have a turbo?)The engine ID number is found on the valve cover and the engine No. is stamped on a pad at the front of the engine

Gannon

found out i have a 1.8 but the adapter co. wants if it is an overhead cam . my cams are beside of heads not over them so does this mean its not.

I dont know much about the 3dr, but i think it should be an EA82 MPFI 1.8 litre Motor (does it have a turbo?)The engine ID number is found on the valve cover and the engine No. is stamped on a pad at the front of the engine

Gannon

hello gentlemen since i know that i have an ea82 with mpfi in a 1986 soob could any one tell me what is the horse power please thanks dennis

i just found a link to a 1988 1.8 and it says h.p. is 115 does that sound right. boy that would be an improvment to my 50h.p. in my beetle HA!!!

many thanks Dennis

Hi, I'm in the middle of putting an EA82T in a beetle based kit car, previously running a 1600tp. Got my adaptor from KEP too, they are very nice adaptors and a lot better than some others I've seen. The best thing is that the conversion plate replaces the original subaru flywheel housing so the engine isnt pushed further backwards in the bug. & look less like a dodgey conversion plate.

Good luck! :D

perhaps this thread would be better placed in the transplants forum?

hello gentlemen since i know that i have an ea82 with mpfi in a 1986 soob could any one tell me what is the horse power please thanks dennis

i just found a link to a 1988 1.8 and it says h.p. is 115 does that sound right. boy that would be an improvment to my 50h.p. in my beetle HA!!!

where and how are you going to put the rad for cooling...........

I Would Like To Say Hi To Everyone In Subaru Land And Im Glad To Be Here . I Really Need Some Help. I Have A 3 Dr. Gl Made 7/86 With A Fi. Engine But Have No Idea Where To Look For Engine No. Or What Size It Is .can I Use Serial No. Or Where Is Engine No. Located. Any Steering In Right Direction Will Help Greatly Thanks Dennis

Direct from the 1986 Factory Service Manual (FSM)

MPFI = 94HP at 5,200RPM and 101ft-lb at 2,800

Turbo = 111HP at 4,800RPM and 133ft-lb at 2,800

Carb = 82HP at 4,800RPM and 101ft-lb at 2,800

So you are up about 44 HP on the peoples motor.

Hope this helps

where and how are you going to put the rad for cooling...........
i thought i would put it where the spare tire fits and run pipesunder car to back end. seems like the only place it will fit. i tried to contact krautwagen to see some finished pictures of vw especially from back to see if the ea82 will go in without any telltale bulge of engine cover but he hasnt replied as of yet if you can give any advise it would be helpful THANKS DENNIS

the only thing that comes to mind is the "perversion conversion" at vwshoptalkforum.com ...

i thought i would put it where the spare tire fits and run pipesunder car to back end. seems like the only place it will fit. i tried to contact krautwagen to see some finished pictures of vw especially from back to see if the ea82 will go in without any telltale bulge of engine cover but he hasnt replied as of yet if you can give any advise it would be helpful THANKS DENNIS

found out i have a 1.8 but the adapter co. wants if it is an overhead cam . my cams are beside of heads not over them so does this mean its not.
IF THE CYLINDER HEAD IS MOUNTED HORIZONTALY THEN THE CAM IS OVER THE HEAD. IF THE HEAD IS MOUNTED VERTICALY (LIKE A SUBARU OR A PORCHE) THEN THE OVERHAD CAM IS BESIDE THE HEAD. iF YOU TOOK THE HEAD OFF AND LAYED IT DOWN ON A TABLE YOU WOULD SEE THAT THE CAM OPERATES THE VALVES FROM ABOVE WHICH MEANS OVERHEAD CAM STYLE. HOPE THIS HELPS. GARY

IF THE CYLINDER HEAD IS MOUNTED HORIZONTALY THEN THE CAM IS OVER THE HEAD. IF THE HEAD IS MOUNTED VERTICALY (LIKE A SUBARU OR A PORCHE) THEN THE OVERHAD CAM IS BESIDE THE HEAD. iF YOU TOOK THE HEAD OFF AND LAYED IT DOWN ON A TABLE YOU WOULD SEE THAT THE CAM OPERATES THE VALVES FROM ABOVE WHICH MEANS OVERHEAD CAM STYLE. HOPE THIS HELPS. GARY
that really simplifies it THANKS DENNIS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I find that the ea82 is way too wide for this conversion. It will involve a ton of sheetmetal modification to the back of the car. I advise dumping the EA82 and going with an EA81 or EJ-series engine. Seriously.
exactly what type and year do these engines come in ThanksDennis

The EA81 engine was offered in wagons from 80-84, brats from either 81 or 82-87 (sorry, i can't remember when they switched from the EA71), and hatchbacks for a variety of years during the 80's that I'm not sure of. The EA81 is rated at 83hp, so not quite as much as the EA82, but still more than the stock engine in your VW.

The non-interference, old-style-ECM EJ22, the best of the EJ engines for this swap, was offered in Legacies from 1990-1994. This engine produces around 140hp, so it would be a SUBSTANTIAL improvement.

• 4 weeks later...