Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flat Cam?

So I am trying to find out why my car has a rondom miss and TOD. Took off the valve covers and looked at the cam and HLA's.

Is this what a flat cam MIGHT look like, I don't have a micrometer or caliper to measure it properly. So if this is what a flat cam looks like I will get one and measure it, to be absolutly sure.

306IMG_5916-thumb.JPG

Also I noticed that I have some pitting right around the oil hole. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I am suspecting sloppy hydro lash adjusters because when I pushed on them they were deflecting pretty bad.

306IMG_5906-thumb.JPG

306IMG_5908-thumb.JPG

Thanks

A "flat cam" refers to one or more cam lobes that have been worn down, usually identifiable by the huge score marks across the lobe face. The one lobe that I saw in your picture looked pretty good to me.

Not much of an idea about the oil hole "pitting", unless somebody physically abused it earlier. I wouldn't expect to see pitting, as the wear mode should be scratching/scoring, and the oil hole is in a no-/low-load area.

The HLAs easily depressing does not seem a good sign for them. Mine didn't really depress noticeably, but then mine were uptight when I tinkered with them. (They can drain some on their sides.)