Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 legacy outback transmission woes auto

Hi, I just bought a 98 with 115k on it for a steal but the trans is bad i think,I have read about flushes and transmission addatives and now i am more confused.I have an estimate for a rebuild for 1050 and others around 1300.before i do this i was just wondering if any thing else might help,the car seems like it is starving for fluid when you give it gas it takes a few seconds to start moving and then 2nd drives fairly well but wont shift into 3rd ,i can drive the car manualy shifting 1st and second put in third and some times it just does nothing and other times it will rev high and lose speed same thing if i put it in drive it will go until 3rd and then screams trying to shift,any help would be much appriciated and i know my spelling and grammer is bad sorry thanks and the fluid level is ok but kind of brown and i can not speak to previous owner thanks

You DEFINATELY need to have that tranny serviced!!! If you can afford to take it Grease Monkey and have them do the "Subaru Specific" tranny flush.. you need to get that old fluid out of there!!! If you are going to do it yourself.. try to do it hot.. you can only drain about 5 quarts of 10 total... that is why I say to have it done at grease monkey.. they can get more old fluid out and then replace it with clean new fluid. ATF starts to break down due to the extreme heat and wear that is put on it. It could be something more severe.. but you should start at the basics.. It took my tranny about a week for the old fluid to mix with the new fluid and start running properly again.. so now I need to change it again to get more new fluid in there...

I just took it to a small transmission shop the tranny was toast 3 places told me this,did not bother with the fluid change.the shop i took it to was recomended by a friend for 1500 they would upgrade parts but i just wanted the least exspensive it comes with a 60 warranty if i had sprung for the 1500 1 year but i am cheap let you know how it goes he has a 3 day turn around right now thanks