Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2003 and newer automatic outbacks/reliability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RKent

RKent

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Raleigh

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:30 AM

In looking at the postings, Subarus have a lot of problems with engines and transmissions after they reach 100K. Are the 2003 and up more reliable? I am used to Toyotas that normally last 200k without problems.

Ray

#2 kickson

kickson

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:31 AM

In looking at the postings, Subarus have a lot of problems with engines and transmissions after they reach 100K. Are the 2003 and up more reliable? I am used to Toyotas that normally last 200k without problems.

Ray

First, welcome to the boards. Now about reliability, I certainly hope they perform well after 100k. Unfortunately my 2003 AT outback is only at 20k, but no problems yet. Has anyone driven over 100k with a 2003 or later?

#3 jonlow

jonlow

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:33 PM

Postings on forums usually deal with problems. It would take a large sample to demonstrate any difference in reliability among high-quality cars like Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, etc. Toyoto forums are full of complaints / issues too. On an individual level, you are about as likely to get a good Subaru as you are a good Toyota. A Subaru will cost you more to drive because of the relatively poor fuel economy, but I doubt you'll know the difference in terms of repair costs.

Compared to comparable Japanese-branded vehicles, I find Subarus to be more fun to drive, as I was reminded yesterday while driving a loaner Civic when my Impreza was at the dealership for a (cosmetic) repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users