Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cracks in head: turbo

i got the valves out of my turbo heads. i know its normal to have cracks between the valves, bu thow far down?

the cracks go down to the valve guides. i dont think there are any oil passaged there.

i think there is a small one towards the bottom of the exhaust pfr, but it is onlt about a half inch long and ends. there is a tiny 1/8 inch crack near the spark plug hole on one of the cc's

there are no cracks on top the head or the sides. i took the time to port them, i'm gonna use them anyway, i just want to know what to expect!

the motor has both gaskets blown when i got it, only one cyl was sealed up. hopefully it lost too much compression and quit running before it let the heads get too hot

the cracks end at the valve guide. at least the seat is still in place. the only soob heads i have seen that were ACTUALLY bad, the valve seat had come out and wedged the valve open.

i was told that little cracks bt the spark plug hole are expected, and there is a tiny one at the webbing of the exhaust port.

OH WELL.....i put the heads on anyway, well at least if they work then we wont need to throw out heads with odd cracks!

we'll see if it works........................................................

what does anyone else know?

OH YEAH, i forgot to mention these are ea82 heads

the crack is very slight and barely a cm long. and its at the bottom where the flange meets the mating surface. will that be ok? its too late because i already have the heads on and the motor mostly put together. it didnt look too bad to me, i was more concerned with the ones between the valves......