Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gas tank failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

Well I was out testing my wagon and getting it to climb stuff so it would fully compress the suspension, and I saw gas dribbling out the back. Come to find that the EVAP hoses have had their nipples rust right off the tank. So now I have to invest another $250 in the car to buy a new tank. The nipple for the main fuel feed started leaking when I poked it, so it was time for a new one. I dropped the old tank today, with only one bolt having to be cut off. The rest of the tank looks reasonably good except for the nipples. How many other people have had their nipples rust off?
And has anyone found a tank cheaper than $250?

#2 karinvail

karinvail

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Skagit County

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

Well I was out testing my wagon and getting it to climb stuff so it would fully compress the suspension, and I saw gas dribbling out the back. Come to find that the EVAP hoses have had their nipples rust right off the tank. So now I have to invest another $250 in the car to buy a new tank. The nipple for the main fuel feed started leaking when I poked it, so it was time for a new one. I dropped the old tank today, with only one bolt having to be cut off. The rest of the tank looks reasonably good except for the nipples. How many other people have had their nipples rust off?
And has anyone found a tank cheaper than $250?

A ''new'' used one from a junkyard would be WAAAY cheaper! The junkyard I go to already has the tanks pulled an in the trunks so you can inspect them carefully if you need to purchase one.........

#3 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:18 PM

All the junkyard around me do the ol' chisel to the tank trick to drain them before putting them in the yard. So, no tanks there unfortunately. I've only got $80 + tires and cost of PK lift into this car, so I can rationalize spending another $250. I'll still have under a grand in a kickbut car.

#4 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,093 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:46 PM

where is Mason at?

I am parting out my GL and I will sell you my old tank for $20 in Portland ORegon.

I highly doubt I could ship it because of the nature of what it is and what it contained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users