Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2000 Subaru Legacy L - Is it common to replace rear calipers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shipssubaru

shipssubaru

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • virginia

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

Hello Subaru world,

I have a 2000 Legacy that just got its brake inspected by a non-subaru shop and I was told the rear brake calipers are stuck onto the rotor. I was told the calipers are frozen and will not release. They told me that I need to new caliper and that it would cost 498.00 to replace. Is it common for the calipers to need replaced? I called a subaru parts store and they sell for 319 each. It would seem that a 4 year old car would not need new calipers. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
Jason

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,800 posts
  • Texas

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:50 PM

Hello Subaru world,

I have a 2000 Legacy that just got its brake inspected by a non-subaru shop and I was told the rear brake calipers are stuck onto the rotor. I was told the calipers are frozen and will not release. They told me that I need to new caliper and that it would cost 498.00 to replace. Is it common for the calipers to need replaced? I called a subaru parts store and they sell for 319 each. It would seem that a 4 year old car would not need new calipers. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
Jason

I feel its too weird and expensive to not get a second opinion. It just feels fishy to me. I mean BOTH calipers?

Um - what were the symptoms? Or was this just during some inspection?

Carl

#3 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:59 PM

Maybe the sliding pins, and notches on the pads just have to be cleaned and lubricated. My feeling is that many shops skip on that operation, even when installing new parts. Nor do the calipers cost that much.

#4 Adnan

Adnan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Fremont

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:27 PM

Jason,

Unless you happen to live in terrible weather/road conditions or slog your car through deep puddles, it is rather unlikely that your calipers are stuck. Check the simple things first.

Clean everything by removing all the components, as has been suggested. Make sure there is no rust on sliding parts, etc. Lubricate as necessary.

One thing to keep in mind is that a swollen flex line may be preventing the pistons from returning but to have both go out is odd. Also, remember to only work on one side at a time as you may blow out a piston on the opposite side when applying pressure to one side.

As with most things in life, the more common problems happen more often (how's that for a tautology?). Start simple.

Regards,
Adnan

#5 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:44 AM

I agree with everyone. My 91 Legacy has all its original brake components, and I expect them to last much longer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users