Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Subaru Legacy L - Is it common to replace rear calipers?

Hello Subaru world,

I have a 2000 Legacy that just got its brake inspected by a non-subaru shop and I was told the rear brake calipers are stuck onto the rotor. I was told the calipers are frozen and will not release. They told me that I need to new caliper and that it would cost 498.00 to replace. Is it common for the calipers to need replaced? I called a subaru parts store and they sell for 319 each. It would seem that a 4 year old car would not need new calipers. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Jason

Hello Subaru world,

I have a 2000 Legacy that just got its brake inspected by a non-subaru shop and I was told the rear brake calipers are stuck onto the rotor. I was told the calipers are frozen and will not release. They told me that I need to new caliper and that it would cost 498.00 to replace. Is it common for the calipers to need replaced? I called a subaru parts store and they sell for 319 each. It would seem that a 4 year old car would not need new calipers. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Jason

I feel its too weird and expensive to not get a second opinion. It just feels fishy to me. I mean BOTH calipers?

Um - what were the symptoms? Or was this just during some inspection?

Carl

Maybe the sliding pins, and notches on the pads just have to be cleaned and lubricated. My feeling is that many shops skip on that operation, even when installing new parts. Nor do the calipers cost that much.

Jason,

Unless you happen to live in terrible weather/road conditions or slog your car through deep puddles, it is rather unlikely that your calipers are stuck. Check the simple things first.

Clean everything by removing all the components, as has been suggested. Make sure there is no rust on sliding parts, etc. Lubricate as necessary.

One thing to keep in mind is that a swollen flex line may be preventing the pistons from returning but to have both go out is odd. Also, remember to only work on one side at a time as you may blow out a piston on the opposite side when applying pressure to one side.

As with most things in life, the more common problems happen more often (how's that for a tautology?). Start simple.

Regards,

Adnan