Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy Parking Brake Handle

Hi, new here... wondering if anyone has advice on replacing the parking brake handle on my 93 Legacy wagon. I kinda need to know where to get parts (junkyard?) and how to do it. Is it ovious when I get in there or is there a trick to the whole thing? The button broke off and the spring is sticking out. It worked for a while, but now it won't ratchet and stay set.

Thanks,

kc

fbcbass,

I've many others apart, but not the one on my Subie, but most have a button that is screwed on like a nut. You push the button onto the threaded shaft that holds the spring, and wind it on until its tight. I'd go to a junkyard and see if you can find and remove just the butto you need. If not, you may end up having to get the entire handle. Good luck!

Pull the center counsel up, you will find two screws at the front

Lift the cneter counsel lid and remove the 4 scress

I think that it, but there may be a couple on the back side down by the floor

Now you have full access to the brake handle. If you don't need the cables, cut them and unbolt the handle. You've got it out.

Do the same on your car (don't cut the cables :>) adjust the cables per the book. Easy job 30 min and your done.