Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got a 1997 Legacy GT, and it runs great. It has a couple of quirks though. When the power antenna goes down, it works the way it should until it is completely down. The electric motors continues to pull the antenna down, making an obnoxious noise. It works the same way when going up. [it seems as if the antenna should be longer].

The other problem is the gas gauge isn't accurate after 3/4 of a tank. Neither of these problems are bothering me enough to take it to a dealership or garage, I am just curious to see if there is any easy way to fix these problems. Thanks!

PetterFan,

If the unit is working as its supposed to, up and down, but is very noisy at its extreme limits while the timer runs out and turns off the motor, the antenna gearbox has a small piece of the geared whip, or a gear tooth broken off that is interfering with the clutch assembly. Or the innerds are in need of a good cleaning and regreasing. It is not a big deal to remove the whole assembly from the car (when its down), take the whip assembly out of the gearbox, and disassemble the gearbox. It won't take an hour start to finish, its all pretty intuitive, unless you find broken parts that you want to replace. In that case, you may want to just live with the noise (since the unit works) rather than buy a new one, since I'll bet you won't be able to get individual parts anywhere. Good luck!

Gas Tank-

I am having the same issue witha 97OBW. The gas tank is split in two, and has two seinding units. The Drivers side tank gets drained first, then the passenger side does. Passenger side has the fuel pump. I pulled mine out and cleaned all the gook off the drivers side one, and that helped. The passenger side one im going to try to clean again, but i think it may need to be replaced.

It's real easy to pull these puppies out and clean them, less then 90 minutes for both.

Just keep an eye on the 8 mm nuts.

nipper