Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rattling over, and after bumps.

Recently I've noticed a rattling which is only audibly detectable from inside the cabin with the doors closed. I can also feel it in the pedals and steering wheel and becomes far more pronounced when going over bumps and cracks in the road. It can be detected when idling, but does not change with increase of RPM. It seems to be coming from the drivers front-end but I am hoping that someone knows of this and can advise me in resolving this obnoxious problem.

TIA.:)

What kind of car, what year is it?

If it's more of a "clunking" type sound, check this out:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368718&highlight=legacy+clunk

Heat shields are a definite source of rattling or buzzing sound though. We've had that on two subies. But they're RPM dependent and not made worse by bumps, in our case at least.

Steve

Nevermind. Found that the item causing the the rattle was an errant spark plug my dad lost between the engine and frame beneath the back right of the engine. furious.gif It found a nice little cavity to be trapped in between the frame and back of the engine (could see some sort of gear eek.gif ). Got out the telescoping magnet and pushed that S.O.B. out of there and not a rattle since, following bumps that USED to reproduce the noise. Thanks for the good info though. banana.gif

Nevermind. Found that the item causing the the rattle was an errant spark plug my dad lost between the engine and frame beneath the back right of the engine. furious.gif

Ain't it a great feeling to "fix" something, no matter what causes the problem?!!

Good going, Lawsonmh15.

I get a rattling sound in my legacy at about 1000-1500rpm on acceleration.It sounds tinny like the heat shield but only when it's hot.Is there any special place to look for the rattle?Could it be a duffed CAT with an internal rattle?

TIA !:)