Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

strut tower braces... anybody use em???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:05 PM

i've been playing around with my car... you know... sit for a few hours taking things off and messing with stuff...

and i noticed how easy it would be to put in a brace in the rear of my brat... tons of people at school and stuff use them and i've seen some pretty good results... i know the rear is a torsion bar suspension but would using a brace help to stiffen it up at all??? anybody done it???

the front is a harder one to deal with... with the spare tire sitting square in the middle of the strut towers... and no room to go overtop... i was thinking of just using that one when rallying or something along those lines and having the spare strapped down in the rear... because hey i don't want to be fumbling with a spare under the hood when i'm trying to meet a deadline...:rolleyes:

and for the rear... you wouldn't even be able to see it... it would be tucked really close to the jump seats...

thanks all...

#2 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,274 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:16 AM

I am planning on whipping up a nice one for my '73 coupe.Other than dreaming I'm as curious as you are to see some gen I tower bracing.

#3 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:30 AM

for the rear i was just planning on using a straight tube and squishing the ends then drilling a hole in either end... then connect it to the tops of the shock mounts...

#4 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:47 AM

No point in bracing those rear points - they are only shock absorbers and dont take any sideways load.

#5 Dirk

Dirk

Lazy Perfectionist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Wanaka New Zealand

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:15 AM

TA DA!

Since I have relocated the spare tire to the trunk it was easy enough to do this with some alloy tubing.

I was surprised to feel such a dramatic improvement to the handling. I would reccomend this mod for sure.

Posted Image

#6 Dirk

Dirk

Lazy Perfectionist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Wanaka New Zealand

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

Has anyone considered making up a sway bar for the rear end?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users