Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 clutch on EA82

Since I have the engine out and have a worn clutch, I was thinking of upgrading my RX with an XT6 clutch.

It's a direct fit, right? I have an 88 EA82T.

Should I get just the XT6 clutch with stock pressure plate, or the whole XT6 kit?

I have found a few made by Exedy. 225mm, 24 spline.

http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/brands.php?makeid=31&modelid=504&year=1988&partid=137

http://www.maximumautoparts.com/SU_Clutch~Kit_XT6-4WD-001_items.html

http://shop.subaru-engine-parts.com/search.html?offset=0&model=xt6&year=1988&sub_model=4359&part_type=clutch

yeah, I have an XT6 clutch, but I didn't install it myself, I bought it like that, so I can't tell you any specifics as to spline count, etc.

However, my car has the whole shebang, pressure plate, bearing, clutch disc, flywheel, etc from an XT6. It bolts right on.

I "attempted" this swap when I did my D/R Manual Conversion, and found out the hard way you have to use the following components to make it work properly :

XT6 Complete Clutch Kit (Disc, PP, RB)

XT6 Flywheel <---This is KEY since the stepping depth is different from a regular EA82 Flywheel

Other than that its bolt on and will give you better performance since the Flywheel from the XT6 is lighter and the clutch has aprx. 5-10% more holding power.

Not much but still worth it if your allready there doing the job.

Thanks, good to know! That's gonna make it a bit tougher vs. just ordering an XT6 clutch kit. Better start looking...

Yeah I'm glad to help since I had no help when I did my swap and I was just told it bolts right up, I bought a XT6 Clutch Kit to find out it wouldn't work, then had to spend another $160 on an EA82 Clutch Kit and ended up with 2 clutches!! Let's just say I had a bad week after that.

• 5 weeks later...
...I was just told it bolts right up, I bought a XT6 Clutch Kit to find out it wouldn't work, then had to spend another $160 on an EA82 Clutch Kit...

What exactly did not work with the XT6 clutch kit and EA82 flywheel combo? Was it a 2wd/4wd turbo/na issue?

Seems that it works fine according to posts here. Clutch for modified EA82T.

--Ed

What exactly did not work with the XT6 clutch kit and EA82 flywheel combo? Was it a 2wd/4wd turbo/na issue?

Seems that it works fine according to posts here. Clutch for modified EA82T.

--Ed

If you read onto WJM posts he claimed the XT6 clutch didn't hold and slipped at the same point as the stock clutch did, this is because of the flywheel machined step was incorrect.

I sold my XT6 clutch kit.

• 1 month later...
That's weird... I installed an XT6 clutch kit into an 88 RX EA82T with no problem. Direct bolt on. And it works MUCH better than the ea82t clutch did.

XT6 pressure plate, XT6 disc, and EA82T flywheel, right?

I've got an EA82T flywheel, Sachs XT6 pressure plate, and a WJM Rallye Sport disc that I am hoping will play well together when the engine gets put back in. (clutch pic)

Yeah.. XT6 clutch kit... (Pressure Plate, Pilot Bearing, Clutch Disc...) Autozone for ~$160u.s. ... EA82T Flywheel was already in the car:brow: ... it was a direct bolt in and works VERY well with the stock set-up. We'll see how it holds the power after I make a few upgrades..

I did some research on this about 2 years ago...this from memory.

The XT-6 PP is almost 100% more clamping power, I can check the FSM later but it seems like the EA82 unit is 800lb and the XT-6 unit is 1500lb, I might be way off on this...

The difference in the step height was only 8/1000, I doubt this will make any difference, there is probably that much wear on a clutch disk at break in. Again, this is from memory, I'll try to confirm it.

I put a used XT-6 PP and disk in my '88 EA82 F/I wagon with a stock EA82 flywheel and it works awesome, have not been able to make it slip...

<back from the dead>

will a performance clutch for an ea82 like WJM got fit my xt6?

Yes. It is a direct drop in.

I did some research on this about 2 years ago...this from memory.

The XT-6 PP is almost 100% more clamping power, I can check the FSM later but it seems like the EA82 unit is 800lb and the XT-6 unit is 1500lb, I might be way off on this...

I put a used XT-6 PP and disk in my '88 EA82 F/I wagon with a stock EA82 flywheel and it works awesome, have not been able to make it slip...

I noticed MUCH better performance from the XT6 setup on an EA82T...

BUT...

BOTH sets, NEW EA82T and NEW XT6, BOTH SUBARU OE setups....slipped at the same power output, which was 12 PSI on my RX at the time (TWE Header, DP+2.5" catless, STi TMIC, Intake)....HOWEVER, both setups hold to 15 PSI w/out the IC and Header but with a TBE and intake.

Yes. It is a direct drop in.

I noticed MUCH better performance from the XT6 setup on an EA82T...

BUT...

BOTH sets, NEW EA82T and NEW XT6, BOTH SUBARU OE setups....slipped at the same power output, which was 12 PSI on my RX at the time (TWE Header, DP+2.5" catless, STi TMIC, Intake)....HOWEVER, both setups hold to 15 PSI w/out the IC and Header but with a TBE and intake.

direct bolt on with xt6 flywheel? if so how/where/how much $$$ do I need to get one? I think myaxphylx (sorry about name butcher but that ************'s hard!) gave me a link on xt6.net but my mind frequently files things in the wrong folders...