Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 turbo mods, update (w/pict)

Skip

87 turbo wagon 4wd 5 speed (James Bond button)

She has a Bythesea built short throw shifter (w/Hurst "T" handle)

Redline NS gear oil.

I am about out of mods I can make to this lump

aside from the flux cap. and maybe a bigger turbo

Alas she is still a Suba-toad

Any ideas?

willyslump.jpg

higher octane/advanced timing (you probably are doing this, but I don't see it specifically listed as such)

For a good sound and performance, go with some new bigger performance cams. Go for that "I'm idling, I sound like a muscle car, and I'm about to die" sound.

you could do some NA pistons... or hell, if 1600 pistons will fit, go for that. I'm sure it'd boost the CR well over 10:1. In an ea81 it puts them at 9.5:1, so imagine in the EA82 what would happen. I think the NA EA82 is already 9.5:1.

Anyhow, not much for the turbo car I guess... you could do a twin turbo setup, one on each side. I'm guessing your not running with any cats? (cats are bad... m'kay?)

thanks for looking and for the suggs

I really do not want to tear her down, I have a couple extra EA82Ts I could build - again thanks for the reccos

I have a G-Tec PRO but do not have an accurate weight on the wagon. Will get to a weigh station soon.

On the lightened flywheel, sorry I have to disagree with Offroad

She seems to spin up faster due to the lower angular momentum

I can't get to the gear shift fast enough if I stand on the loud pedal in first gear.

But I do not like the drive line shock hitting second hard so I shift at about 5.7 k

Now in second and third -7 grand and it's still pulling hard - ask Trogdor

The problem I thought I might have is starting from a stop, but that is not the case, she pulls out just fine. Even with a 1000 lb trailer behind.

Now where an I gonna fit the flux capacitor?

On the dash? see other post

willyft.JPG

yeah adding cams would be a good idea if it was n/a runnign those lumpy cams ona turbo motor you will losae alot of power cause of valve overlap

not enough exhaust rpessure to spint eh turbo up like it should

now

if possibly you had a set custom ground for your turbo engine by a person or compnay with experience in say turbo vw's?

then you might get somewhere

put xt struts/shocks or whatever in it, to drop it a few. Still a toad as in not making the hp it should be or not enough for you? how many k on the motor? Maybe disconnect the ac?

On the flywheel, a lighter one will spin up faster with no load, and a bit faster under acceleration (that all depends what is slowing the car... not enough hp or too much rotating mass). A light flywheel is fine once you are moving, but a larger rotating mass helps jerk the car forwards initially when you dump the clutch from a stop. With a really light flywheel you have to rev higher, in order to drop the clutch fast and not stall. Maybe only a little though.

• 6 months later...

Raising the compresion is NOT good for making more HP in a turbo engine. 8:1 is ideal on most turbo engines. There is only one true way to make big hp with a turbo engine, A BIG TURBO! lots of boost. Cams might be good for 10-20hp, not worth the hassle. Pull that turbo off and put a vf22 on there. With enough fuel 300whp is very possible. Prolly wont last long at that hp level.

heres my 2c worth:

you could go for a fmic using the starion one, wouldn't be too hard to do, and with the fans running behind a new Legacy radiator, you would have a lot of cooler air flow, and not much heatsoak, and the car will run cooler.

oh yeah, and a ea82 full time box with a impreza wrx ra gearkit, 4.11 diff on the rear, top speed 180km/hr, and you get there very fast, my Rx certainly does...took it out for a run in the weekend, running 14psi, forged pistons, FMIC, legacy radiator etc. etc, and holy subaru...it's quicker than my old stock Mitsubishi Glant VR4....have a rally on tarmac on the 24ht of this month, in New Plymouth, New Zeland, 200km of competitive stages...can you tell I am excited...

back to the topic, not sure how they did the gearbox, but it is fantastic

Oddcomp, cams are a doable project does anyone remember the company that was doin regrinds at a reasonable price (like 50 or 60 bucks a side)?

I think you want delta cams out here in Tacoma, Wa. As for your next mod... I didn't see a hula dancer on the dash.:)

raising compresion is just fine even with a turbo motor it helps alot in non boosted cruise for economy

you have to use the right hardware :)

like me i am instlaling a saab apc system that back down teh boost anytime it hears detonation hehe

plus i dug up a bunch more automatic boost controll schematics

and some other stuff that will drive up 4 or 5 additional injectors depending on the amount of boost the system see's weee

Now where an I gonna fit the flux capacitor?

On the dash? see other post

willyft.JPG

1.21 jiggawatts Skipper you must be CRAZY!

What turbo and how much boost are you running? Your exhaust is 3" right? fuel pump? base fuel pressure? and variation at max boost?

Josh