Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight Connector Go Poof!

Driver's side headlight on my '95 Legacy L wagon was cutting out every once in awhile. Wiggling the wiring/connector made it work okay, so I knew the lamp was good.

Tried to remove the rubber boot and it tore apart--the middle part had been cooked to the back of the plastic connector! When I finally got the connector out, one of the plugs (the top one where the yellow/blue wire terminates) was totally destroyed--burnt out and melted away.

Must have been a spectacular flash . . . the black plastic looked like a lava field, a'a on the surface and pahoehoe below!

Anyone ever experience this? Why would there be a short in such a protected area?

Olnick,

I've seen similar results on automotive electrical circuits over the years. You may have had a bad connection from the start, that finally corroded enough to create enough resistance and heat to toast the connector. Find another in a junk yard and graft it onto your headlight wiring. I did the same thing with a wiring connector to the rectifier on my garden tractor earlier this summer. Its not a big deal to replace. Good luck!

Thanks George, that's encouraging. My first thought is always to avoid dealerships! Went to a nearby NAPA and the kid couldn't find the part. Called a different NAPA and they couldn't find that specific part in their catalog.

So maybe I'll just take the burned out piece tomorrow and see if anyone is willing to look beyond the catalog!

Aloha. Thanks again.

IMG_0640.thumb.jpg

Wow! Now that's heavy duty wiring, Heikki. Is that connector aftermarket or did you fab it yourself? Does it bother you that it's not enclosed in a rubber boot like the OEM part (not that that helped me!)?

Anyway, thanks much for the input--and great picture.

Wow! Now that's heavy duty wiring, Heikki. Is that connector aftermarket or did you fab it yourself? Does it bother you that it's not enclosed in a rubber boot like the OEM part (not that that helped me!)?

Anyway, thanks much for the input--and great picture.

At first I was a bit worried, but after about 18 months and two winters my high-wattage bulbs are still burning bright. The connector is aftermarket. I purchased it, along with bulbs and relays, from http://www.danielsternlighting.com/. Excellent vendor with top-notch products.

I took the photo before taping up the stock wiring. You can see it there below the headlight for comparison. Yes, I stepped up the wire gauge just a bit. ;)

-Heikki

Update: Subaru solved the problem for me. Called a dealership this morning (mainly to see how much they'd ask for a simple little plastic connector!), guy took the information, called me back after awhile to tell me that Subaru doesn't sell the connector separately. It is considered part of the wiring harness! The guy seemed as shocked as I was.

What . . . I'm gonna' rewire my whole car for one crummy little connector?!!

Anyway, he aimed me at a parts store where the people are capable of a little more than just riffling through catalogs. Found a generic with pigtails and a stronger build than the original--for $3.40! Shoot, the package of heat-shrink tubing cost me more than that.

So now I can't wait for a day off to grab my soldering iron and go play.

Thanks everyone for your help and guidance. Aloha.

Gotta love "parts". :rolleyes:

I've been running high wattage bulbs in my 97 OB for a number of years. The connector gradually succumbed to the heat. I should have changed them last year, but I didn't get to it. Last winter, I had to pop the hood and wiggle the connectors about every 2 days to re-establish connection so that my lights would work. :lol:

I finally got around to changing them in the spring. After a bit of seaching, I found the right connector (it was not labeled as H4, but it fits) at Canadian Tire. Spliced the wiring and it's been good ever since.

Commuter

I had this prob with my legacy, the pass side headlight liked to flicker a lot, come to find out the plug was on the verge of a total meltdown (literally...) the plastic around the low beam and the ground wires were almost nonexistant. Then I realized it was caused by 2 things: 1) bad xenon bulb producing way more heat than it was supposed to and 2) my lights being on all the time. replaced the plug, then the bulb a few weeks later (as it started to do the same thing to this plug but it was still useable) and havent had a problem since.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed this information to phastings but thought I'd post it here for what it's worth.

What I got is called a "Socket/Pigtail Assembly"--found it at Carquest, part # "S-526." Most parts stores probably have something similar, essentially a generic socket to fit a halogen lamp. Y' just gotta' get the counterguy's nose out of the vehicle specific catalogs so he can go and actually look for it!!!