Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I broke my front anti-sway bar

Just how important is this part? Can I continue driving without hurting my car? I wasn't paying attention and ran off the road and went a bit airborne and landed in a corn, or something, field. It broke on the driver side right by the bushing that holds it to the frame. Right now it's being held together with JB weld and lots of Duct Tape.

If it is really important, where is the best place to get one and can they be taken off any 96-99 Legacy?

I've been on Jeep trails, jumped my car over an intersection, gone off the beaten path tons of time and a field breaks my car, dammit. The only other damage was breaking my fog lights - they were $45 at Auto Zone cause I broke the OEM ones off roading last year - and lots of grass, mud and crops in my bumpers, lol.

I really doubt the bar is actually still together with the JB weld. The duct tape is holding it up there, but it's definitely not functioning the way it's supposed to.

Yes, I'd say the bar is relatively important and plays a role in the safety of the handling. If you don't want an aftermarket, check local junkyards for a used one for your car.

Just how important is this part? Can I continue driving without hurting my car? I wasn't paying attention and ran off the road and went a bit airborne and landed in a corn, or something, field. It broke on the driver side right by the bushing that holds it to the frame. Right now it's being held together with JB weld and lots of Duct Tape.

If it is really important, where is the best place to get one and can they be taken off any 96-99 Legacy?

I've been on Jeep trails, jumped my car over an intersection, gone off the beaten path tons of time and a field breaks my car, dammit. The only other damage was breaking my fog lights - they were $45 at Auto Zone cause I broke the OEM ones off roading last year - and lots of grass, mud and crops in my bumpers, lol.

Man... You are single-handedly responsible for me making a mental note to NEVER buy a green 99' OBW out of Wisconsin.:lol:

Geoff4130,

Yes you can still drive the car the way it is, but....... keep your speed down until its replaced! You will not have anywhere near the emergency manouvreability, because the car will roll and sway uncontrolably if you are going too fast and have to turn or swerve quickly. Been there, done that in a 280 Z with a rear swaybar missing both end links. I think my fingerprints are still embedded in the wooden steering wheel 20 years later, after trying to avoid a dog. Get it replaced as soon as possible. DO NOT TRUST your temporary fix.