Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Swap Complete... New Problem!

Today. Bits and pieces from each engine. The donor engine was an automatic so that stuff had to be swapped over.

The biggest issue is with the exhaust flanges... they don't mate up right. There were studs coming out of the motor on the old engine and this one has holes to put bolts into, and they don't line up. So it sounds like an old John Deere tractor right now.

The main part is it fires right up... and the boys feasted on 3 racks of my very own "special" baby back ribs, steak tips and ice cold beer. Life is good!

It's another EA71. She ran like a champ on the way to the custom exhaust shop for the flanges to be recut and welded. She barely made it home, NO power and stalling again. No smoke though.

Tim changed out the distributor (electronic) from the original engine and the timing is messed up. It's backfiring out both the tailpipe and carburator. He's at he end of his rope now and quite frankly I am too.

This has been one disappointment after the other. I think I'll take up knitting... anyone in need of a custom hand-made car cover?

That's no good. I just swapped an ea81 with an ea81 from auto to manual, and the exhaust bolted right up. You would think that yours would do the same. I don't know what advice I can give you, as I swapped engines BECAUSE of backfiring from the carb and other carb issues.:)

Hi Jibs,

We brought the Brat to a custom exhaust shop. He cut away the heat shield to expose the Y pipe and discovered a huge hole on the Y pipe that was hidden behind the heat shield. He cut back further, remade the flanges welded them in and closed the system. Apparently, the backpressure changed things.

The distributor and timing were the ultimate problems... he changed out the distributor, but during his frustration, he forgot about TDC. That night, while I was reading posts about timing issues, the term TDC came up and Bingo! it all came back to him, from then on he pretty much quoted the rest of the post on the procedure. He went back out with a clear head found he was 180 off, corrected it and it runs great now... doesn't miss a lick, no backfire and doesn't smell at all.