Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last year I purchased a "lightly used" 2003 Legacy Sedan Limited. I fell in love with it's sleek styling, and having previously owned a 2000 Forester knew how relaible the car would be rolling the back roads of Central PA! However, my love affair with the car- and perhaps the product is at a crossroads...

In April of this year I spilled a can of aluminum roof coating in the back seat of the car, doing a number on the cushions (both top and bottom!) of the rear passenger side. All the parts were ordered through the dealership (where I purchased both cars!) in May... Well, here we are in mid-August and guess what!?! Still no cushion! Yes, I have been in touch with Subaru Cares, everyone in the dealership knows me by name (or at least situation!), I am even thinking of writing to Mr. Ishigami (CEO of Subaru America)but have no idea what, if anything he could do to help matters...

Does anyone have any idea of additional steps I could take to get the parts any faster? The part was ordered the second week of May! In this day and age of global shipping, one would think the seat should have been here months ago! Yes, I know it's an unusual part to have to replace but three months waiting for a part is frusturating!:banghead:

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

That sucks. I bet having a 5 passenger car and not being able to use the back seat makes things a pain.

The cushions and seat can be rebuilt by an auto upholstery shop. If there is a hot-rodders meet near your home or a friend who's into custom cars, you may ask them for a reference.

Also, have you tried junk yards? I don't know of any junk yards with subaru specific parts, maybe somebody here might be able to help you.

If your successful with what I've listed above, then cancel your order and get a refund on the parts you ordered.

Good luck.

Strakes:

Thanks so much for the ideas (and sympathy!) I do have a friend who is a mechanic searching junkyards for parts.

I just hate the fact that three months after a part is ordered through a dealership it has still not arrived... Having never encountered this problem receiving parts with any of the other models of cars I have driven in the past (Saabs and Fords mainly) I am curious if this is just a Subaru issue or if this would happen with any model these days?!?

Although I have adored my time with the Subaru family I am seriously considering checking out another line of cars... so many with AWD these days! Unfortunately, by the time I finally get the part replaced all of the dealer incentives might very well be over!

I did a search on google using "custom auto upholstery knoxville tennessee" and came up with a few shops in my area. Don't know where in PA you live, but if you did that with your online search, at least you can get a bunch of phone numbers and call around and see what it'll take to rebuild your seat. Hopefully the prices won't be shocking.

Try the following. It's the largest Subaru junkyard in the US. They have always had or could locate what I needed since 1985. Back then it was by phone. You could still call them, or request an online search or parts request. They are in Ct. About 30 miles east of Danbury in Roxbury.

http://www.fsautoparts.com/

P.S......love Lancaster county........grew up about an hr from there.....still enjoy it.

Mikey