Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cost of Ownership

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PAezb

PAezb

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • USA

Posted 19 September 2003 - 10:34 AM

I'd like to find out from you all what you consider a reasonable cost-of-ownership on you Subaru. Specifically, not counting normal maintenance like oil, filters, tires, gas, etc. - but more on what you consider reasonable expense target of non-routine, unexpected repairs each year after the warranty runs out. Are you above or below expectations on the cost of repairs?

On my 96 Outback with 122K, I've had to replace tires and brakes of course as well at the battery, oil seals, t-belt, waterpump & thermostat(preventative). I also had to replace a few sensors and currently I'm having issues with the EGR system. With the additional fear of head gasket failure, I trying to decide whether it might be a good time to start shopping for a new vehicle.

Just curious.

Paul

#2 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 19 September 2003 - 11:05 AM

I have an 82 Hatch that I have had since........1982!

It has had a clutch, front CV's, water pump, alternator and a fuel pump in 21 years!!!!!!!!

Still runs great. I calculated my cost of ownership at $375 per YEAR!!!!!!!!!! (not per month)

This would include purchase price:brow:

That's why I got a Forester. (one water pump bypass hose $11)

Glenn,
82 Hatch, transforming....:temper:
01 Forester, jealous.........:madder:

#3 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 19 September 2003 - 11:37 AM

Not counting the T-belt/H2O pump/front seals we did at purchase (bought at 100,000 miles and we didn't know if previously done - SOA had no records).

One front wheel bearing, $249.00 = $124.50/annum.

#4 duane b

duane b

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Northwest

Posted 19 September 2003 - 12:03 PM

Originally posted by mtsmiths
Not counting the T-belt/H2O pump/front seals we did at purchase

How much was the TB, WP, and seal service??

#5 rezmutt

rezmutt

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • White Mountain Apache Rez

Posted 19 September 2003 - 01:32 PM

I have had no unexpected expenses on my 98 OBW, though I did replace the timing belt myself for about 50 bucks. However, I fully expect to have to replace head gaskets within a year or two, based on what I've read on this board.

My wife bought an 86 hatchback as her first car in high school. Being young and inexperienced with cars, she didn't take good care of it. My wife: "The oil light only comes on around corners." Once we married, I took over the maintenance, which consisted of oil changes and a front brake pad replacement. Despite the neglected maintenance, the little lawnmower (as we called it because it sounded like one, and was about as mechanically complicated as one) still runs. We sold it for $800 bucks, and it was recently spotted roaming the wet streets of Eugene, OR.

Yearly maintenance on both Subarus is/was very little, just as expected.

Peace,

#6 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 19 September 2003 - 04:00 PM

Here's what was done. T-belt, pump and seals, transmission serevice, install cruise control (part of the debrightonization), all fluids, filters, etc. The total bill was just over a grand. I'm guessing that the engine work was about $520.00. They also did a complete pre-purchase inspection (even tho' we had already bought it in Spokane) so, it could have been a bit less.

Hey, it's been over two years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users