Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an 05 forester. inthe last several months i have smelled antifreeze

after stoping the car. the coolant level is fine and i have had the dealer check it out . when i have it in for service. they are unable to find anything

leaking. the dealer is saying that it is the coolant moving from the radiator to the overflow bottle. do any of you have the same problem ?

thanks chris

An anti-freeze odor is not normal. The question is, where is the anti-freeze leaking from? Check all the coolant carrying hoses for a green residue. You might check the hose clamps for tightness. Check around the heads for a possible external head gasket leak. This might appear as a big black stain around the head where the sticky anti-freeze has trapped dirt. You could try placing paper under the car to check for anti-freeze leaks. You probably have a very minor leak, just enough so that the hot coolant creates an odor.

Well, I think it may just be normal. The overflow bottle has little hole in it to allow air to travel in and out. Some of the coolant vapour is escaping through there and causing the smell.

It's worst on my car after a coolant change. Which I think supports my theory.

Keep an eye on the coolant level, if there is a leak, it will drop enough for you to notice within a few days of driving. But don't panic if the level fluctuates or indeed drops slighlty over a month - some of the coolant just evaporates out.

My girlfriend can't smell it. Maybe some of us are just too sensitive. She doesn't here any of the rattles either. Wish it were me, motoring would be far less stressful :-)

I have the exact same thing...

The first time I noticed it...I found the water pump "By Pass" hose was cut and started leaking.

Once I fixed that I have still been able to smell antifreeze when the car is warm or has been run a while.

Everytime I smell it now there are no leaks under the car anywhere and there IS coolant in the overflow tank.

I'm under the theory that it's the coolant from the tank that I'm smelling.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester--has antifreeze smell from time to time...