Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looks like I need to buy a good fuel pressure tester. Would of course like snapon or Mac, but $$$$. If I bought one at my local O'rielly's or Napa, do you think it would be reliable? Still $40. Not cheap. Would hate to misdiagnose a problem due to bad equipment. Fuel pumps aren't cheap.

would anyone ever recommend a junk yard fuel pump?

Also, does anyone know how the two fuel pump system works on a Legacy? My Haynes manual says the AWD have two fuel pumps.

BTW: 91 Legacy

1) About the fuel pressure gauge, here's what I did.

I bought and installed an inline miniature (but sturdy, it's made of stainless and brass) fuel pressure gauge from VDO (no more than 25$ USD) and spliced it directly in the line between fuel filter and fuel rail. You just have to pop up the hood to know what's happening with your fuel pressure. It also helps to answer the old question if the engine ever stops working : spark or fuel?. You can also carry it from one car to the other cause all there is to do is cut the line and splice in the T fitting.

2) I dont think your car has two pumps but two pickups and two fuel gauge senders cause of the rear drive shaft that has to be cleared by the tank.

The pump is on the passenger's side and both sides can be reached thru a removable plate behind the rear seat.

Hope that helps.