Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling Mudrat

I don't doubt he's busy. I don't doubt he's a good guy. He's a family man and I understand that priority. My father raised 5 children on a very modest income, worked 2 jobs to make ends meet and always kept his word. His word was and still is, his bond. If he says he will do something by a specific date, it was done. With that as an example, I paid for the bumpers on December 11th with a promise that they would be ready before Christmas. It didn't happen. Then the promise was New Year's, then February, then Spring Break, then the WCSS7. I have called him. I have sent e-mails. I have PM'd him. At this point he refuses to talk, he refuses to refund the $720 I paid up front, and he refuses to deliver the product. I'd like to work with him to resolve this without having to go to the next step, but he's not giving me a lot of options. What would you do in this situation?

He has helped me on a number of occations... all of which i walked away happy...i bought my car from him and he has been backing his sale (by giving me constant help) and i don't think i could have dealt with a much better person...

the fact that he has gone the extra mile for me and for others on multiple occations shows that he is good guy...

if you want to get some results outa him phone him! although he has a different cell #... i feel sorry for the poor guy who got his old #...

I have been able to talk to him around once every 2 months (depending on how much stuff brakes on my car)...

so maybe you should give him a call... he will get the job done...

and besides some places in australia i don't think your going to find another place to make an ej/ea adaptor kit...

thats my take...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as much as I hate to say this....ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'm thinking I'd send a letter via registered mail. That way you KNOW he got it. In that letter, I'd spell out exactly what you wrote below. He IS a good guy. He IS a family man. in this case, he's trying to be a business man. That's something he can learn, but he shouldn't be learning it on someone else's dime(s).

I like John. A LOT. But promises are promises. Had to have that same discussion with him at WCSS7.

I don't doubt he's busy. I don't doubt he's a good guy. He's a family man and I understand that priority. My father raised 5 children on a very modest income, worked 2 jobs to make ends meet and always kept his word. His word was and still is, his bond. If he says he will do something by a specific date, it was done. With that as an example, I paid for the bumpers on December 11th with a promise that they would be ready before Christmas. It didn't happen. Then the promise was New Year's, then February, then Spring Break, then the WCSS7. I have called him. I have sent e-mails. I have PM'd him. At this point he refuses to talk, he refuses to refund the $720 I paid up front, and he refuses to deliver the product. I'd like to work with him to resolve this without having to go to the next step, but he's not giving me a lot of options. What would you do in this situation?

Yea yea he's a family man.. blah blah blah.. I have mouths to feed too and I don't make all that much, right now I really could use that money. I Paid $650 up front via money order. John wouldn't accept PayPal. I assume it's because they offer the buyer protection.. I wonder if he had plans for my money to begin with....

Please John please, follow through or refund me!

-Steve in Denver

So I want to get a list going of who Mudrat owes stuff to.

Northguy - Bumpers

NoahDL88 - EJ to EA Adapter Plate

Jibs - Front/Rear Bumper, Rollbar, Transmission w/Phantom Grip

Skapickle - lift kit for a 78 brat

anyone else?

I don't want to get too involved in this thread, I want to leave it between Mudrat and Northguy, but I have also tried calling him about sending my bumpers and stuff un-powdercoated with no response. I talked to Mudrat at WCSS7 as well as afterwards, so I have said what I wanted and am at ease for the moment.

If you don't want to get involved, why are you compiling a list of names this Mudrate guy owes stuff to?

Because Mudrat owes me things as well, and so far its seems like I am out the most money so far if something happens or doesn't happen. I said earleir that I didn't want to get TOO involved, I just want to know who else out there is waiting for stuff from Mudrat.

I heard a rumor today that he's out hunting right now.

Being an Oregonion also, I suspect he's bow hunting (deer), as I think bow season just started recently. And I hate to tell ya this, but we have a long bow season.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

PS Please don't shoot the messanger!

Pyro

So I want to get a list going of who Mudrat owes stuff to.

Northguy - Bumpers

NoahDL88 - EJ to EA Adapter Plate

Jibs - Front/Rear Bumper, Rollbar, Transmission w/Phantom Grip

Skapickle - lift kit for a 78 brat

anyone else?

He owes me a title to a Brat I bought from him more than a year ago.

I just got off the phone with John. He says that the powdercoater had to switch to white for a very large order that is being sent overseas, and that he has about 14 bumpers stacked up ready to go as soon as the powdercoater switches back. He also appologized about not being on the computer recently as he's been swamped at work. Let's see what happens in the near future.

I just got off the phone with John. He says that the powdercoater had to switch to white for a very large order that is being sent overseas, and that he has about 14 bumpers stacked up ready to go as soon as the powdercoater switches back. He also appologized about not being on the computer recently as he's been swamped at work. Let's see what happens in the near future.

Glad you were able to get ahold of him. Makes me feel a whole lot better. Not that my transmission is due any time in the near future, nor am I doubting him, but when you've got that much money tied up...

Oh, and don't put me on the list. My tranny isn't due yet, so I don't feel like I'm "owed" anything. Just waiting until it's done :) !

I have to post a reply in John's defense. I have been contacting him for about a year now. He always either answers or returns my calls within a few minutes. He's always been available.

He has diagnosed, or confirmed every single problem with my Brat. He send us out to the car (usually by flashlight because of the time difference). He gives us tests to do on the ailing part and is always 100% dead on. I have total confidence in John's expertise.

I toss a few bucks in his Paypal account because he does this for a living and has saved me hundreds, probably thousands of dollars instead of having someone else do it!

There are many, many other board members that have contributed to the success of getting my Brat to a daily driver. But this thread is about Mudrat and I am very happy with being his friend!

Just FYI to everyone that talking smack and moaning, I personally had a good experience with John, I called him up (yes that is the best way to get in touch with him his new phone # is in his sig profile) 2 weeks ago about a 5 speed D/R tranny and the EJ EA adapter plate kit. Picked those up this weekend have yet to hook it all up but looks like it will works great.

Just FYI to everyone that talking smack and moaning, I personally had a good experience with John, I called him up (yes that is the best way to get in touch with him his new phone # is in his sig profile) 2 weeks ago about a 5 speed D/R tranny and the EJ EA adapter plate kit. Picked those up this weekend have yet to hook it all up but looks like it will works great.

Thats funny that you got your plate so soon, i've been waiting for mine for 6 months, and was promised mine at the WCSS7. :confused:

Just FYI to everyone that talking smack and moaning...

I don't believe anyone is "talking smack" or "moaning" about John's knowlege of subarus or the the quality of his work/products. In my opinion the only way to deal with john is in person on a cash and carry basis. His word or promise is not to be trusted. Many people have found this out the hard/expensive way, myself included.

Ok, Since this post was brought to my attention through several different PHONE CONVERSATIONS......

I figured I better get on the computer, and See what everyone is Crying about now.....??

I'll try and Touch on everyones issue, and then I am done with this post.....

I've talked with Northguy as He stated.....

Jibs, I've attemted to call you several times on your # about powdercoating your stuff white, to no avail, so CALL ME TONITE IF YOU CAN......?????

Noah, I apologize to you, Cause I've got your Adapter kit sitting in the shop in a box, and I keep spacing the shipping of it...If you happen to read this PLEASE CALL ME TONITE ALSO.....

skapickle.......I sent you a kit over a yr ago, I traced it to Denver From My end, I told you this, I then Offered to Build you a second Kit, But You would have to pay for CERTIFIED shipping so We could both trace it.....You then got into an accident with the car.....? After that, You were in contact sporadically, then dropped to nothing...?

Most of your Kit is still sitting in a box in My shop....If you pay for CERTIFIED SHIPPING I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO SHIP IT TO YOU.....

SubaruJunkie....You sent me money for a Bumper, then Said it wasn't a big hurry thing, cause car was broke down, or wouldn't pass emmisions, or some other reason, so wait till you had decided which car you wanted it built for.....So I WAITED, And WAITED......you material sitting in a corner collecting dust....Then Through several MSN conversations we had.. you were thinking of having something built for a Gen one wagon you were getting , then that fell through....? So your stuff sits even longer....? So then here we are 2 yrs down the road, how time flys.....and You start sniveling that you sent me money and still haven't seen your Bumper.....

All I can say to you , Is ***K **F .......you of all people have been to my place a couple times, even on the way home from the show THIS YEAR.......When You finally decide what car the Bumper is going to go on, Let me know, I'll build the thing, and You can come get it .....

FLOW.......I got your letter in the mail, You should be seeing the Return envelope Soon.....I even wrote a new bill of sale for you....Cause I'm such a Bad guy....I won't go on and on about how Our original deal was for a Ready to rock trail Rig, for 2200.00 or how I delivered the thing for Free, or how I let you jew me down to 1800.00 cause there was a bit of rust on the thing....Instead of just keeping it on the trailer and bringing it back home to sell....????

I think that about covers everyone....?

For all you other Skeptics out there in Computer Land....

I have and Will always stand Behind My product,

And So All of you know and understand My Life History.....

I am 33 yrs old, The father of 5 Wonderful children who come first in my Life, I am working full time as a Mechanic, as well as continuing to work in the shop fabricating in the evenings when I can..I get off work at 5pm, My wife works 6pm till midnite 5 days a week, So if you do the math I have 2 days off to work in the shop full time, and 1/2 an hr each nite during the week....I have been a member of This Paticular board WHICH I LOVE since Billy Clements first started it back in 96 or 97..?......How many of you actually know who He is.....?

I think I will start a Thread asking Every single board member out there who I have helped over the phone or in person, to just post a quick response explaining how and where they were at when I helped them, or diagnosed their issue...?

Also, How many people who I have never met, have I opened my Home to, when passing through...? I can count 5 just in the last year.....

And cause I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN THE WORLD TO HIDE OR RUN FROM

HERE IS ALL MY INFO....

JOHN BLOOM

3968 JESSEN DR.

EUGENE , OREGON 97402

PHONE ( 541 ) 607-0163

Come say hi any time......John

All I can say to you , Is ***K **F .......you of all people have been to my place a couple times, even on the way home from the show THIS YEAR.......When You finally decide what car the Bumper is going to go on, Let me know, I'll build the thing, and You can come get it .....

F*CK O*F??? Thanks.... i think i will.

I sent you plans, we agree'd. Even tho the car it was supposed to go on is now dead, doesnt mean I dont want the bumper i paid for. I never told you to stop production on it, although I do remember saying it wasnt a big deal and there was no hurry... but that was 2 years ago and no hurry doesnt mean forget about it. But now, you know what... you can forget about it. Next time im in Eugene, i expect to recieve my money back. Or you can mail it, but im not waiting another 2 years.

-Brian

EVERYONE:

Please be sure to use the feedback system on USMB. Alot of this could have been avoided. John isn't perfect but hes providing a service that no business would be able to properly provide services for so I think we should cut him some slack but if you disagree, or it takes an unexcusable amount of time you are more than able to leave him (or anyone) a negative feedback.

Please also be sure to not duplicate postings in an attempt to "get your point across".

Thanks,

Shawn

Former ASSISTANT ADMIN, back when there was a BillyC on USMB. :)