Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing HeadGaskets, should I also do bearings??

So, I'm doing the head gaskets this weekend on my 96 GT with a DOHC EJ25. Since I'm tearing the motor about 75% apart and it has 182K miles on it, I'm thinking I should tear it completely apart and replace the Main and Rod bearings. Am I insane? I know the car was pretty well maintained before I bought it, but I'm thinking $200 now is a lot cheaper than a new motor or re-tear down in the future.

Thoughts?

Keith

Hey Keith

Well maintained Subaru bottom ends seem to be good for 300k+, but it does make sense to do it all while you're there, only difference is with the Subie (compared to other engines) if you leave the bearings you dont have to split the case. You gonna re-ring it too?

Then again there is the sleeping dog theory...

On re-reading, this post may be of little use to you, lol.

Gary

On re-reading, this post may be of little use to you, lol.

Gary

No, it was of use. I really think I'm going to let the sleeping dog lay. I have records that show the oil was changed every 3k since about 40k. I agree that if I was going to do it, I better do it and re-ringing would also make sense. I think since I've got a lot of time into this thing from the trans already, I'll just do the gasket job and leave it alone. Car runs really amazing strong, so I have no reason to believe there are any issues. Maybe I'll just install an oil pressure gauge to keep my sanity in check.

Keith

If you are pulling the motor to do the headgaskets, I say pull your pistons and put new rings in. And you can also replace the front and main seal IF they are leaking. You can also send you heads out and have them rebuilt for $150-200.

If you can pull you motor and take your heads off, you can do your pistons rings.

I have a DVD of how to do your pistons and rings if you want for $7.50 PM me if you are intereested.

The question is, how deep do you want to get into things?

If you split the case, you might as well replace the bearings. Also, if the cylinders have any scoring, do you want to have them honed....same goes for the pistons.....it can cascade into a lot of money, time, and work.

Personally, I'd just replace the headgaskets. Make sure you clean/prep the surfaces correctly.

You can see all the pictures of the internals and what you'll have to get into from my teardown and rebuild

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ej22t/

The question is, how deep do you want to get into things?

If you split the case, you might as well replace the bearings. Also, if the cylinders have any scoring, do you want to have them honed....same goes for the pistons.....it can cascade into a lot of money, time, and work.

Personally, I'd just replace the headgaskets. Make sure you clean/prep the surfaces correctly.

You can see all the pictures of the internals and what you'll have to get into from my teardown and rebuild

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ej22t/

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've been there and done that. I was more or less thinking outloud on the board. To most this is a high mileage engine. The thing was simply that I've put so much time into this car already that if I'm at least half way to completely tearing the engine apart, do I do it right away. I'd rather not, I just know I'm gonna be really mad at my self if something goes wrong 10k miles from now.

Keith