Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump relay and fuse location!? 1995 Legacy

I've got a dead fuel pump (checked separately) and no power from the harness either. I have an idea that the fuel pump died in a bad way, and either blew the fuse or zapped the relay.

I looked for any sort of fuse with a FP or Fuel Pump indicator next to it, but couldnt find anything. Is the fuse that controls the pump in the main fuse/relay box under the hood or is it under the driver's dash?

Also... where is the relay for the pump located?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

• 5 months later...
did anybody notice the date on that first post?:brow:

8/05. So?;)

Point is I have a dead car and am trying to fix it and the answer to this would help me out a lot.

I have tried several things I have read here and so far nothing has worked. (No fault of anybody here though) I cannot find the pump relay and/or fuses so I am stuck. I can't even find out if the fuel pump is actually dead. :confused:

pull up the carpet in your trunk/cargo ( if wagon) area, you should see some wires that go through the body, could be a couple though, like ABS sensor, or air bag stuff. jack up the back of the car and figure out what wires are for the fuel pump. it will be easy as the pump is mounted in the tank. next tap into the wires for the fuel pump and turn ignition to ON position, not start. if your wire tap is good and the test light comes on you have power.....if no fuel pump sounds then its dead. if no power search for relay or blown fuses.

~Josh~

Jenn,

The fuel pump relay should be hidden behind the fuse box. You will hafe to unscrew the fuse box, it should be back there somewhere.

Beezer

Thanks a million! I will try that as soon as I get home from work. Just to clarify though; you are talking about the fuse box under the dash right? Or did you mean the one under the hood.?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

The relay on my 95 wagon is above the regular fuse box inside by your left foot. It was/is kinda stuck up there flopping around. Didn't have to pull the fuse box to get at it...but maybe someone did before. There are (2) relays there so you can swap them and see if pump works then. I think the other one was for the heater. Of course I wasn't smart enough to track down the relay until replacing a perfectly good fuel pump....

The relay on my 95 wagon is above the regular fuse box inside by your left foot. It was/is kinda stuck up there flopping around. Didn't have to pull the fuse box to get at it...but maybe someone did before. There are (2) relays there so you can swap them and see if pump works then. I think the other one was for the heater. Of course I wasn't smart enough to track down the relay until replacing a perfectly good fuel pump....

Is it marked in any way to identify it? A number or a label or a name? (Just hoping, anything to make it easy and smooth)

I just stumbled onto this site and thread. I have the same problem with a 95 Impreza.

Got a subaru PDF file (if you need it, email me) that shows exactly where the fuel pump relay is located, but can't quite figure out how to get to it. I've loosened some stuff like the cruise control module - it made a little more space, but can't get my hand around that relay if my life depended on it.

Also took the bottom cover off, so gained a little access hole along the side. Still not quite enough to get that relay loose.

That relay seems to be mounted on a plate, along with the blower relay and main relay. Does taking that plate off make it easier? I see it is held in with one machine screw - is there another one?

I am debating wheter the dash has to come out. Hope that isn't the case..

Anything you learn, I'd appreciate it. I'll return the favor.

Remco

Think there should be 2 relays there, the main and the fuel pump. The top roundish one should be the fuel pump relay.

Beezer

Thanks -- is there a trick as to getting to it? I loosened some of the stuff, but I can't get my hand around it, let alone undo the clips of the socket.

Also, is there an interlock or signal that needs to come back from the engine for the fuel pump to run?

I ask because I had the engine out a couple of weeks ago and, when I put the engine back in, it ran quite well for about a week. That's when the pump stopped.

It is just suspicious that just a mere week after I put my engine back in the pump stopped..

When I turn the key to the position before the start position, I hear a relay go "click - one sec pause - click". Is that the fuel pump relay, trying to pressurize the line? If so, there's no short periodic voltage going to the pump so no fuel going to the engine compartment at any time.

Tia!

Remco

Ok, I found something interesting today which might be of use to you, Jenn:

I wasn't getting any power to the fuel pump. Was just about to see what had to be done to take the fuel pump relay out and it occurred to me that maybe the computer is confused.

So I put the green connector together and tried to start the car. The car still did not start, but this time there was power to the fuel pump. Still not getting fuel into the fuel filter, though..

Listening with a stethoscope while turning the key, it is clear that my pump is definitely not running.

I misplaced my surgery locking pliers so don't want to pull the lines off yet, but will take the pump out to see if there's something that can be fixed. If not, I'll replace my pump.

Hope this is useful to you.

Remco

Ok, I found something interesting today which might be of use to you, Jenn:

I wasn't getting any power to the fuel pump. Was just about to see what had to be done to take the fuel pump relay out and it occurred to me that maybe the computer is confused.

So I put the green connector together and tried to start the car. The car still did not start, but this time there was power to the fuel pump. Still not getting fuel into the fuel filter, though..

Listening with a stethoscope while turning the key, it is clear that my pump is definitely not running.

I misplaced my surgery locking pliers so don't want to pull the lines off yet, but will take the pump out to see if there's something that can be fixed. If not, I'll replace my pump.

Hope this is useful to you.

Remco

The unplugged single prong connectors under my dash were BOTH green; now I am confused...:confused:

A co-woker has loaned me a voltage tester (ohm meter?) and I am going to play with that tonight and see what I can learn. At this point I hope it is the fuel pump. I know and understand how to swap parts, electrical, I am clueless.

Now when I connected that under the dash green connector my boyfriend turned the key on and I laid with my ear over the pump and heard nothing. But that doesn't clarify anything for me. Pump or electrical? I think some C-4 would solve the whole thing! :horse:

But I'll let you know what I find out with the tester.

Jenn

The unplugged single prong connectors under my dash were BOTH green; now I am confused...:confused:

A co-woker has loaned me a voltage tester (ohm meter?) and I am going to play with that tonight and see what I can learn. At this point I hope it is the fuel pump. I know and understand how to swap parts, electrical, I am clueless.

Now when I connected that under the dash green connector my boyfriend turned the key on and I laid with my ear over the pump and heard nothing. But that doesn't clarify anything for me. Pump or electrical? I think some C-4 would solve the whole thing! :horse:

But I'll let you know what I find out with the tester.

Jenn

That green connector by itself is supposed to click the pump relay on by itself (among other things). From the way I read it, it is some sort of override mode that allows a tech to test stuff.

Your pump is under a cover in your trunk, right? Or is it outside your trunk, hanging underneath somewhere?

You first have to establish whether your pump is getting power. Your problem may still be the fuel pump relay if you are not getting power to the pump, so you have to figure that out first.

Mine is in my trunk, so the pinout described below would only apply in that case:

Ok, if you have a voltmeter, you should be able to see a voltage on the following pins when you turn the key to the position right before 'start'. You'll first hear a relay in the dash go 'click' <pause> 'click' and during the pause you should very briefly see 12V on pins 1 and 2. If you turn the key to 'start', you should see 12V there while starting and untimately when the car is actually running.

Perhaps bring some paperclips with you to push into the connector, so you have a convenient place to measure from. Be careful to not short them!

If you look at the unplugged fuel pump connector face on (so the wires are pushed in from the back), this is the pin out on my daughter's 95 Impreza:

1 3 5

2 4 6

1&2 pump, 1 being positive, 2 being negative

4&6 looks like the tank level indicator, but I am not quite positive on those connections yet.

3 and 5 are not hooked up.

If you don't see 12V there, try measuring from pin 1 to ground. If you then see 12V, the pump ground connection must be bad - I am not sure where that connection is, unfortunately.

If you still don't see 12V, your pump relay is suspect.

Please note this is not the pinout the official Subaru manual has. I don't have it handy at the moment so my pin out is only to describe to you which pins drive the pump. Actually, the manual pages in my PM to you do contain information as to the official pinout. Did you get them yet?

If you get 12V at that pump connector, set the meter to resistance and measure across the mating end of that connector (so the pump side) on pins 1 and 2. You should see some resistance. If you see infinite resistance, your pump may be bad as well.

On mine I see infinite resistance, so either the pumps motor is bad or a connection internally is bad.

I intend to take mine out and inspect if for loose wires, etc. A new pump assembly is priced at a very steep $350 from Subaru but I do see several individual pumps on ebay. Subaru says that there are no serviceable parts on the assembly but frankly I don't believe them. I suspect some pumps may be drop in replacements for the in-tank pump I have.

A junk yard may also be a good source for a replacement pump.

I'll keep you posted. Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to work on anything over the next couple of days. If you want to bounce ideas, feel free - email direct or PM is fine.

Remco

(whybcuz@yahoo.com)

I just stumbled onto this site and thread. I have the same problem with a 95 Impreza.

Got a subaru PDF file (if you need it, email me) that shows exactly where the fuel pump relay is located, but can't quite figure out how to get to it. I've loosened some stuff like the cruise control module - it made a little more space, but can't get my hand around that relay if my life depended on it.

Also took the bottom cover off, so gained a little access hole along the side. Still not quite enough to get that relay loose.

That relay seems to be mounted on a plate, along with the blower relay and main relay. Does taking that plate off make it easier? I see it is held in with one machine screw - is there another one?

I am debating wheter the dash has to come out. Hope that isn't the case..

Anything you learn, I'd appreciate it. I'll return the favor.

Remco

Here is what I have learned:

There is nothing but the inside of the outside metal behind my fuse box.

If you take off the rubber guard and touch the coil on top the engine while the key is on it will light up your life. :lol:

My dad unscrewed the very bottom of the dash (the part above your shins) and found what he thinks (:confused: ) may be the relay. It had the right combo of wires going in.

We used the voltage/ohm tester everywhere we could and found that the pump is getting power and in the right sequences. My dad's diagnosis is that the car doesn't realize that the pump isn't working and everything is fine except that the pump isn't pumping.

My other half is going to head down to the salvage yard tomorrow and grab a pump, a relay, and whatever else we may be able to use...I love the salvage yard. You bring your tools and grab a wheelbarrow and take what you need for highly reduced prices. Redneck shopping at it's finest!:rolleyes:

Good -- sounds like you're well on your way.

I think we both have the same problem: a bad fuel pump. Unfortunately, I've been tied up doing other things.

You may have thought about this already, but also measure the voltage on the contacts to the pump, just to make sure you are getting 12V there. You might see 12V at the relay, but it could also be the wiring to the pump.

Remco

Good -- sounds like you're well on your way.

I think we both have the same problem: a bad fuel pump. Unfortunately, I've been tied up doing other things.

You may have thought about this already, but also measure the voltage on the contacts to the pump, just to make sure you are getting 12V there. You might see 12V at the relay, but it could also be the wiring to the pump.

Remco

Ya know, I don't believe the pump contacts were checked...eh *shrug* My other half is already heading down to get the pump and stuff. So we'll see what happens.

Good luck on yours when you get a chance to work on it.

Jenn

• 2 months later...

Jenn,

There is no fuse for the pump. ONLY a relay.

It is located under the drivers side dash. You will need to remove the cover panel and its connectors, the fuse box and possibly the cruise unit. Even then the relay is way up in there.

The Haynes manual labels it as round and green, next to a brown square relay.

To test it, hook up power 12v to the 1,3 pins and it should click. Also you can just hold it in hand and turn ign on. If it doesn't click then either you have no power at clip or the relay is bad.

Jose'