Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best/biggest tires for my 98 obs daily?

n16ht5

okay.. I am going to lift my obs 4".. I need some tires. I don't want my gas mileage to go down much though, and on the other hand, I still want to be able to plow through the snow this winter :). and I don't want to do any cutting, unless its not visible (( i dont know how I could do that))..

ive been searching the forums, and it looks like I could fit 215/75 r15s. ... can I go bigger? is this going to mess up my gas mileage?

I am trying not to spend too much money too.. I don't want to pay $100 a tire :-/.

I like the khumo venture mt's, but they only come in 235 75 r15 as the smallest for my rims..

these are probably overkill,, and I dont like walmart but..

these tires look pretty decent -75$

these are cheap -55$

any ideas? I would like some mild MT's if theyre not too expensive..

thanks

First off... how are you going to get 4" of lift?

And 2nd, if you lift it 4" and you fit larger tires... you are most definatly going to loose gas milage.

The Kumho are probably the best for the money. You could go with a superswamper in 28". With 4" of lift you should be able to run them with minor fender trimming.

-Brian

okay.. I am going to lift my obs 4".. I need some tires. I don't want my gas mileage to go down much though, and on the other hand, I still want to be able to plow through the snow this winter :). and I don't want to do any cutting, unless its not visible (( i dont know how I could do that))..

Big tires = less milage and trimming; that's the trade off.

The Super Sport radial MTs are nice tires but you could get bials ply Super Swampers or Kumho Venture MTs cheaper. Now if you insist on a radial MT the Super Sport is a good price but if you can live with bias ply you can go cheaper.

The other ones you linked are pretty wussed out all seasons. It honestly sounds like you want an AT (which is what a 'mild MT' is) Check out the Librator AT at Wal-Mart; great tread pattern and deapth plus can't beat the price. Yokohama Geolandar is another great AT tire thats under $100/tire.

Really have to ask yourself what you need the tires for. All season traction and the ocasional off highway adventure or mostly off road trails and mud.

i hate wal-mart as well. i have some liberators.they seem to do well all around.i am mostly on dirt roads,consruction sites,and highway.mud here and there , but i would not depend on them if i got in a sticky situation.they don't clean out very well in clay,gravel and deeper mud .this is not a tire to go slow with through a mudpit.but at the proper speed you can accomplish it .they are wearing well and seem to have alot of life left in them .i mean they only have about three thousand miles on them, but i have definitely used them.they do fairly well in water and on slick streets as well

okay for the 4" lift I am putting in forester coils and struts. the Khumo mt's are 27x85 r14" , i have 15" rims, the smallest size for a 15 is 235/75 :-/ otherwise I would buy those. I guess I will probably go for an AT. I expect to lose 1mpg or so, but also, the speedo/odo will be off, messing up my "mileage" after the tires.

this is my daily driver (I have another wheeling rig)> I just want some good tires to go messing around in the snow in the mountains here and for skiing. I don't want bias ply, because they don't last very long. I need some radials. I am not used to the factors in dealing with these small car tires (I have always had lifted trucks with 33"s and what not) so I am not sure exactly what to expect

and do you know where the downloadable rebate is?? if you can find it I might get those tires. Thanks

Forester suspension won't get you 4" of lift.... maybe if you used your struts and a set of scorpian springs... but then you're limiting your down travel, and that's no good.

I'm working on getting my obs lifted.. just looking for springs.. got the struts.. :brow:

just remember, MUD TIRES ARE HORRIBLE IN SNOW, AND ICE!

thats why most of them come ready for metal studs.

there are alot of AT tread tires that work great for snow/ice, and pretty good for mud/offorad.

ps, cut er up good =]

you must be clownin, MTs are way better than ATs, the ats clog up faster, the mts will dig through.. ice is a different story though.

I decided im not going to lift it, well if i do it will just be a 2" strut lift

i am getting these maybe:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/pts/92518197.html

the tires are kind of crap, but oh well. the wheels look nice

you must be clownin, MTs are way better than ATs, the ats clog up faster, the mts will dig through.. ice is a different story though.

No, he's not actually. When you dig down through that snow what's at the bottom? Ice 90% of the time..... big lugs dont move you on ice, lots of sipes do. All the ppl I know up here that run MTs year round have siped the crap out of them to make them more safe.

just remember, MUD TIRES ARE HORRIBLE IN SNOW, AND ICE!

thats why most of them come ready for metal studs.

there are alot of AT tread tires that work great for snow/ice, and pretty good for mud/offorad.

ps, cut er up good =]

Ice maybe, but it depends on the tire for snow. I know those Super Swamper SSR and the Coopers are pretty friggin awesome in snow.

Siping is all you can really do for ice. I believe they made studs illegal in WA this year.

But the deal is. . . there's not a lot of snow that falls in western WA. When there is, it's not usually cold enough to leave much ice, it's usually in the 30s when it snows. As in, Seattle gets about 2-3 days of snow a year. And only 2-6 inches when it does.

yeah siping is about all you can do for ice,. but i dont like siping beacuse the tires get chopped up (depending on the tread pattern and if you drive like i do..) and yeah MTs and swampers are the best in the snow. well these actually:

(since we can fit them hehe.. :P)

4x4-trucks-iceland-4runner-44.jpg