Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Suby suspension problems...

Well I just got an 85 GL wagon 4x4 and today I took it to a shop to just have it checked out and they found that the left rear and the right front wheel bearings are bad. Are those easy to replace myself? You just repack them with grease right? I remember a firiend saying they are easy. So wats the worst that could happen if I dont fix them?

Then they also found that the inner and outer tie rod ends and lower ball joint in the left front is kinda bad too. What do those do and again, whats the worst that could happen if i leave them the way they are? I probably wont go 4x4ing at all, i'll just use it in the winter a bit.

And also, is there an online manual for any make of Subaru? THanks.

If it's a correct diagnosis that the wheel bearings are shot, not fixing them now could destroy the knuckles. (bearing carrier) Then youll have a big headache. And "easy" depends on your experience/determination/willingness to learn/patients.

Ball joints and tie rod ends could probably be let go with fewer negative consequences. Mostly bad ball joints result in clunking and poor handling, as does worn tie rod ends.

All the knowledge you need is here in the archives or writeups, but you will need to take the time to search it out and study.

Good luck,

Pyro

Well I just got an 85 GL wagon 4x4 and today I took it to a shop to just have it checked out and they found that the left rear and the right front wheel bearings are bad. Are those easy to replace myself? You just repack them with grease right? I remember a firiend saying they are easy. So wats the worst that could happen if I dont fix them?

Then they also found that the inner and outer tie rod ends and lower ball joint in the left front is kinda bad too. What do those do and again, whats the worst that could happen if i leave them the way they are? I probably wont go 4x4ing at all, i'll just use it in the winter a bit.

And also, is there an online manual for any make of Subaru? THanks.