Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 EA82 dual range stick, or GL10 Turbo Auto with Push?

IM BACK!!!! well possibly at least!

I am looking at a couple of subes, as the bug has caught up with me once again. Not have a car to drive on the outer banks among all the big trucks bothers me, now that I only live an hour from there.

I had the desert camo 6 inch lifted brat, sold to the dude in FL. and the FIRST 3dr lifted coupe in the states, sold that to John in Indiana.

Going to look at two subes today and tomorrow. I want something EASY to work on, EASY to mod, enough power to go on beach, or rock crawl, and good enough gas mileage. Can't find any EA81 Wagons, so I am looking at EA82's

First one, 85 EA82 Wagon, brown, dual range 4x4, 5 speed stick, asking price is 850

second one, 86 GL10 Turbo wagon, push button 4x4, 4 speed auto. Just had turbo serviced.

I have had an 87 3dr coupe, dual range, 5 speed, so I am familiar with them, it was carbed, and I put a weber on it, still, with a 3 inch lift and 27 tires, it. I was satisfied with its power, tho lacking sometimes, but it had NO problem offroading and kicking rump roast on the beach, or crawling over rocks.

I know the turbo has about 110 hp, but lacks the low gear., and is automatic and that presents its own problems.

I am looking to put a 4inch lift on, either a PK davis if he decides he can build one, or one of my own making, as I can do it, just not the time for the aggrivation, either 14 or 15 peugots with approx. 27 offroad tires, of course, tinted windows, cd player, etc.

want to tow a small trailer sometimes for trips to lowes, etc.

Need to fit myself, wife, 9 week old baby in car seat, 4 year old on in booster seat, and sometimes, my 12 year old daughter.

THANKS for the info.. and hi to all my buds!!! you guys remember me from the 2004 meet in Carlisle!

Mike

mikldom@yahoo.com

You want the aggravation of timing belts? Buy the turbo then give me the engine to put in my Westfalia. (subie turbos do not have a great record from this era)

Actaully, buy the LJ-10 instead. Weener.

Otherwise, hold out for a minty EA-81 daul range wagon. Put a weber on that.

You want the aggravation of timing belts? Buy the turbo then give me the engine to put in my Westfalia. (subie turbos do not have a great record from this era)

Actaully, buy the LJ-10 instead. Weener.

Otherwise, hold out for a minty EA-81 daul range wagon. Put a weber on that.

Timing belts are hardly an aggravation..Just simple maintenance.

What record are you referring to that isn't so great?

Turbos get hot and like to self destruct. There is so little "maintenance" needed on the EA-81 against what is needed on the EA-82. If you bust a timing belt, kiss your motor goodbye. Also, lots of extra wires and vacuum hoses used on EA-82.

Just my personal opinions. My twin can take it or leave it.

. If you bust a timing belt, kiss your motor goodbye. Also, lots of extra wires and vacuum hoses used on EA-82.

I have had two different EA82's (one a turbo) that busted timing belts (both were driver's side belt) and NOTHING happened to the motor. Replaced the belts, off you go like nothing was ever wrong. They are non-interferance motors - no bent valves like could happen on ''other'' cars.... I have had two different EA81's also - they were excellent reliable cars, but the timing belts should be no reason not to get a car with an EA82. Just replace them, and then forget about them!

Personally, I'd go with the 85 over the GL10, only because of the auto in the GL10 though......

Small Rust issue, (Very Small, but significant) on the 85 GL

I saw it, haven't test drove it yet.

The inside is about immaculant. It definately is a 5 speed with the dual range, in fact it is exact to the 3 dr coupe I had, even the color.

The rust is on the bottom of the fender on the passenger side. It does not look like it has affected the rocker panel, but the bottom of the fender is practically gone. I can muster a good sheet metal repair, but it is troubling. I plan on going under it this afternoon, and poking around with a stick at the usual places, the frame rail areas (I know no frame but the supports), the floor boards, around the gas tank, etc.

I think if it drives well, and everything seems good other than that rust, I will offer him like 700 for it.. not worth 850 with that kind of rust repair that is needed.

I am not gonna go look at the gl10, simply because of the original automatice transmission in there. I don't trust them well enough. I can swap a manual transmission, as I did it in the brat, over two weekends.

Some more opinions?

THANKS in advance!!!

Sincerely,

Mike

mikldom@yahoo.com

That page is awesome.. Indeed the quality of the 6 inch kit is great.

is there a 3 or 4 inch offered from these guys? I had a 6 before, and it was nice, but I don't need that for a family beeter. I want nice on-road and good off road performance.

Thanks.

Mike