Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulling the Hornet's engine

The oil leaking onto the exhaust is a 'safety concern', and I was going to re-seal the engine in a month or 2 anyways, so I'm just going to do it now instead.

Basic plan is to do a complete re-seal, including the heads. I'll probably paint the oil pan as well, and maybe the engine. I'll check clearances on the oil and water pump, and replace them if I have to.

So, before I tear into this, are there any special tools I'll need? I already have basic hand and air tools, a torque wrench, a set of feeler gauges. Also, any tips that apply specifically to these engines? I've replaced head gaskets before, but never on a subaru.

Nope.

If you run in to anything pm me.

Here's some thing to think about.

Are you going to replace the valve seals? If so, you'll need a spring tool.

Replacing the piston rings will raise you compression.

If the bearings turn out to be shot, who will be able to get them for you quick.

I'm not planning to do anything with the heads, other than maybe cleaning them up a bit. If either of the heads look nasty, I'll think about doing more, but otherwise it will be hands-off the heads. Same goes for the block/pistons/other internals. I'll pull the pan off, and if I see any obvious damage then I'll look closer. Otherwise, I'm not touching it.

I have a turbo motor that I'm thinking about completely rebuilding, but that won't be until later.

As for parts, I have a place that can get me stuff in a hurry. They give me the jobber price, and a deal on freight charges.