Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pulling the Hornet's engine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stephenw22

stephenw22

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • SK, Canada

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:25 AM

The oil leaking onto the exhaust is a 'safety concern', and I was going to re-seal the engine in a month or 2 anyways, so I'm just going to do it now instead.

Basic plan is to do a complete re-seal, including the heads. I'll probably paint the oil pan as well, and maybe the engine. I'll check clearances on the oil and water pump, and replace them if I have to.

So, before I tear into this, are there any special tools I'll need? I already have basic hand and air tools, a torque wrench, a set of feeler gauges. Also, any tips that apply specifically to these engines? I've replaced head gaskets before, but never on a subaru.

#2 MudisFun

MudisFun

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:59 PM

Nope.

If you run in to anything pm me.

Here's some thing to think about.

Are you going to replace the valve seals? If so, you'll need a spring tool.
Replacing the piston rings will raise you compression.
If the bearings turn out to be shot, who will be able to get them for you quick.

#3 stephenw22

stephenw22

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • SK, Canada

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:51 PM

I'm not planning to do anything with the heads, other than maybe cleaning them up a bit. If either of the heads look nasty, I'll think about doing more, but otherwise it will be hands-off the heads. Same goes for the block/pistons/other internals. I'll pull the pan off, and if I see any obvious damage then I'll look closer. Otherwise, I'm not touching it.

I have a turbo motor that I'm thinking about completely rebuilding, but that won't be until later.

As for parts, I have a place that can get me stuff in a hurry. They give me the jobber price, and a deal on freight charges.

#4 sparkster58

sparkster58

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • Alki-West Seattle

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:13 AM

......yikes:eek:..My o'l buddy is getting heart surgery.....

Spark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users