Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How long should it take to replace the plugs and ignition wires from a 95 Legacy. I got a quote of $170 at the local Firestorm, but I figure plugs and wires shouldn't run me more than $50, so if I can do it myself, I can save a bunch of cash.

Also, what are the chances of screwing something up and the car not working after the change, for a first timer? I usually do the air, oil and fuel filter, as well as belts and pcv valves myself, and never screwed that up.

Thanx,

Pete

it took me like 30 minutes. Remove the washer fluid tank. Plugs cost $2 each. The tool to gap them was like $2. Wires were $20. So it was under $30 for everything. I got NGK V-groove plugs (only thing they had in stock) and they work very well.

If all the shop is doing is changing out plugs and wires, $170 is a bunch. Do it yourself. Subaru engines--at least yours--are good engines to work on, unlike lots of other Japanese FWD cars. I swapped my plugs out fairly easy. I'm getting ready to do another plug change and ignition wire change. The main thing you want to be careful of is threading in the new plug. Make sure it smooths into thread and you're not forcing it. Some people use a piece of rubber hosing that fits securely on the new spark plug to get it started in the head--I've got this cool little plastic tool made for that purpose, but other people get by fine with just their fingers.

Here's what I do when doing both. Change one plug and wire at a time. I don't know anybody who pulls off all the old wires and then puts the new on...at least not more than once. Of course, I used to work on V8 cars, so a 4 banger isn't quite as open to the confusion of what plug wire gors to which plug. Still, play it safe and do them one at a time. This is a job you can do, and you'll feel like a stud afterwards. $170 bucks is a ripoff...

I am in the process of changing my spark plugs on my '02 Outback but had a question. I did not want to damage anything so I thought I would post. There is a rubber boot that is attached to the spark plug wire and creates a seal to keep dirt away from the plug itself. What is the best way to remove the boot so I can get at the plug. The rubber boot has a very tight fit between the plug and the engine. I do not want to damage the rubber boot but can anyone suggest the best way to get the boot off the plug. Is it a simple matter of yanking on the thing or is there more to it. Thanks

How will that help his problem :-P

Don't yank by the wire...pull by the part on the plug.

And give it a twist as you pull on it.

When you install the wires on the plugs, put a little dielectric grease inside the boot. It'll come off easier next time.