Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HC12A refrigerant in '91 legacy AC?

After screwing with all the wrong things on my '91 legacy, finally got around to checking the most obvious, the site glass on my receiver drier. Looks like some frothing going on, so assume I need a recharge; will be first one in 14 years. I assume the intermittent nature of the AC over the past 2-3years has been caused by the low pressure switch kicking the system off.

I spoke with the dealer, and he didn't seem to crazy about messing with it. Said the AC system was an antique.

A buddy of mine told me about a newer refrigerant starting to make its way into the states called HC12A. According to him, its supposed to be a drop in replacement for R12 or 134. In addition, it's more efficient and has no environmental negatives (ozone depletion, etc.).

Anybody have any experience with this stuff in '90, '91 legacy AC's?

Any other info. relating to recharging this "antique" would also be helpful.

It's far from an antique. I love dealers sometimes. Find an independant garage that does AC work. In most states by law they have to first check your system for leaks and that costs some money, but if they don't find a leak they can top off your system with R12.

Keith