Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 turbo wagon dash mod (w/pict)

Skip

Skip.

I love your dash.. way cooler than my 87 turbowagon dash

Can you give us a breakdown of what all that stuff is.

And .. how did you make the insert that fits over the passenger side of the dash.. I like that.. good place for guages and turbo timer and such

willydashbig.JPG

The dash is made of this new stuff, I forget the name, it's like plastic, only not.

Going from top to bottom, left to right-

First is a radar detector

Below that is a scanner

Below that is a digital thermometer, showing coolant temp/oil temp

To the right of that is a compass

Then the clock

Next to the clock is an altimeter

Then there are the 4 switches and lights...

The first light is wired to the thermoswitch, it comes on when the switch tells the electric fan to come on.

The second light is the MAJOR OVERHEAT light. This one means BIG BIG PROBLEMS. Hasn't ever been triggered.

Third light is the boost light, works just like the turbo light on the dash.

Fourth light is the big boost light, comes on above 8psi when the extra fuel injector kicks in.

The first switch turns the rad fan on and off.

Second and third switches, I forgot what they do.

Fourth switch toggles the thermometer between oil and coolant temp.

To the right of the switches and lights is an extra cigarrette ligher, currently has a map light in it.

Up on the corner of the windsheild (and sometimes above the compass) is a G-Tech Pro.

Below the stereo is an EQ/amp.

Next to it is the control for the CD changer.

Next to that is el telephono.

The gauges below the stereo aren't hooked up.

To the left of the blower fan control are 2 switches. The blue one isn't hooked up. The round one controls Da Bomb® anti-tailgating system.

On the pillar pods are an A/F ratio gauge and a boost gauge.

Hope that answered your question.

Is that shift knob actually comfortable??? My brat came with a T bar like that and that was the FIRST thing to go... so awkard... I stuck in the old knob from my 87 GL just to get back to something round. Thats pretty awesome though... looks like an airplane cockpit almost with all those controls and instruments :banana:

Tom , my bet is that Flowmaster never handled a real "Hurst" T handle.

It is ergonomically designed and feels great (except when the temp is below 20 deg F :^0 They did have a felt fuzzy model for this problem).

Trog had the dash down pat, the switches he missed are for the aux rad fan - 2 b installed and the clock dim funtion (I use my head lights all the time and this switch puts the clock back to normal brightness).

The first green turbo light is an indicator that the IC fan and H20 injection are getting voltage. They are controlled via a relay (as are all aux functions) that is triggered by a aux. turbo light pressure switch.

The blue switch next to the fan blower speed turns the AC on and off. Red button is for as Steve points out "Da Bomb".

A very effective anti tailer smoke screen.

The three lower gauges are for the tranny temp, the fuel pressure and the amperes being delivered to/drawn from the battery.

The material is Sintex, THE building material of the future.

http://www.sintex-plastics.com/

P.S. Oh yea of advanced years - remember "The Graduate" line

"invest in plastics" well this is today "invest in Sintex"

Thanks for the props, guys

People often say I have way too much time on my hands-

to which I reply, "time is relative, put your free time to constructive use".

Styles, way kewl,

I do have a screen but it's for an O-scope.

I only put mine in when I am doing a study on a particular system.

Runs off the same inverter the digital themometer for the oil and H20 work off of.

This shot was pre dash extension.

scopedash.JPG

Myxalplyx - email me, I'll gladly streer you though any of the mods you see here.

now that's a dash to be proud of!!!

I especially like the Da Bomb feature. A little info on how that functions, perhaps? (I'd like to steal the idea if you don't mind.)

On the T- bar handle issue, Had 'em on 2 of my vehicles and loved 'em. I wanted a pistol grip on my current Subie, (a gen 1 wagon) so I scavenged a shifter handle from an auto trans XT. (very comfortable!) I pretend the thumb button fires the (fake) .50cal machine guns in the grille.

I wanna know more about 'Da Bomb' system!!! how does it work?

where do I get one??? is it easy to hook up???

Tell Me More!!!! :D

Seriously, I need one of these! I am either getting cut off, or tailgated....seems nobody takes these little cars seriously, half the time they act like they dont even see it! or is it just my car they dont see????

if DA BOMB system is what i am thinking it is, my brother had one in an old beater car that ended up in a demolition derby. All he did was run an output line from his window washing system into his exhaust pipe. Then instead of window washing fluid, he put in a light oil. When he would hit the washing fluid button, it would pump the oil into his hot exhaust pipe, and :headbang: SMOOOOKKKKEEEE SCREEEEENNNN:headbang:

One time he set it off in the parking lot next to the football field at school during our homecoming game....they had to stop the game because of all the smoke.....good times :D

I plan on doing this mod in the near future....just for the fun of it....

Heartless... when Skip uses "Da Bomb", they DON'T see the car. :D

I'm not sure of the hardware used, but it basically has a little tank with some ATF mixed with water in it. It gets fed into the intake via some sort of pump. Tap the button 3 or 4 times, and POOOOOOOF!! Big cloud of stinky smoke comes out the tailpipe.

Trog has it just about right, it is ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil, not water.

Stored in a small tank and coupled via a solenoid valve to the intake manifold

(look in the upper right corner of my engine bay on the 87 wagon turbo mod post and you will see it

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4368 )

This 50/50 mix is drawn in by intake manifold vacuum when I open the solenoid via the red button.

BTW This is an old timers tune up of sorts. It burns hot enough to remove carbon deposits which form durring normal operation.

I do not use it often, and have had no adverse affects (have had it for a couple years)

I did try the water from a washer fluid squirt (used a washer bottle in the small compartment in the rear of the wagon) but my exhaust was not hot enough to produce enough smoke. Raw unburnt oil into a cat may be harmful, but like eyesore says, what do I know.