Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire replacement for the 2006 Subaru Forester

My parents just bough a 2006 Subaru Forester. I haver heard the oem Geolandar tires are one of the worst tires in the world, and that you should replace them immediatley. I don't think my parents will replace until 30k+ miles or so, but I want to hear some preliminary suggestions.

I am leaning towards the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred because of the nice reviews on TireRack and we also have it in our Honda Odyssey, with good results.

The main priority is an All-Weather tire that does very well on snow (we live in Minnesota) but has good handling also. My parents are too lazy to have a dedicated winter tire.

Well, I have the Geolander things on my Forester, and they seem ok. Would they be ok for rally racing? No. Would they be ideal for snow rally racing? No. They are ok for normal everyday driving around, and what the car was designed for. If winter is a huge issue, and I assume it is way up there, I would recommend a FULL SET of winter tires. You can't just change the "drive wheel" tires like the old days. YOur folks will ruin their tranny in short order. All 4 tires must be the same on AWD systems. Short of that, I'm sure they're safe, responsible drivers.

I'm weird,

I kept "factory tires" on my 82 GL for 15 years.

The only reason I quit was I couldn't find them anymore.

They weren't good tires either, but I just liked the stock look.

The best tires I've had were the non-factory ones...

Weird, ya I know...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--now with non-factory tires!!!

84 GL Mad Max--now with my 82's tires.

01 Forester--now with whatever it came with tires.