Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently replaced the rear pads on my 99 Forrester but not the rotors. The rotors are pitted and rusted so badly that I get alot of noise when breaking. Now I would like to replace them. How will this affect the new pads that have a few hundred miles on them? Should I replace the pads again?

murphsubaru,

Depending on how grooved the pads are, and you should be able to eyeball them while they are off the car and know if they are salvageable or not, I would think that you could resurface the pads adaquately enough using a belt sander and say a 120 grit belt. If your results are satisfactory, the pads perfectly flat with lots of material and thickness left, reuse the pads. BUT>>>>if you have any doubts as to whether the pads will be safe to use when you finish the resurfacing....spend the money and buy new pads! Saving a few dollars may prove to be a bad mistake.

I'd say the chance of a problem is infinitesmal. The pads will wear into the new rotor just as well as new pads would wear into an old rotor. I'd take it easy on the first few stops - no emergency braking followed by sitting for 40 seconds with glowing hot pads clamped onto glowing hot rotors, etc. Normal precautions.

Carl